Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highly upset with AMEX over Mafioso Tactics

tag
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: Highly upset with AMEX over Mafioso Tactics

@Anonymous wrote:
hi 74King..i think you'd better call their office again and talk to their higher officers to confirm that you are having problems with you account

I'd call their office and complain to a higher officer about the CSR's rudeness. FRs are bad enough already, but dealing with a rep who's a jerk just adds insult to injury.

It's also mind-bogglingly dumb on Amex's part, IMHO. When a CSR hits you with "Show your tax forms or be canceled", AND treats you like dirt... that easily leads to good customers canceling out of anger. When a CSR's job is handling something that important they really ought to be more genteel.

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KingAdrock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
hi 74King..i think you'd better call their office again and talk to their higher officers to confirm that you are having problems with you account

I'd call their office and complain to a higher officer about the CSR's rudeness. FRs are bad enough already, but dealing with a rep who's a jerk just adds insult to injury.

It's also mind-bogglingly dumb on Amex's part, IMHO. When a CSR hits you with "Show your tax forms or be canceled", AND treats you like dirt... that easily leads to good customers canceling out of anger. When a CSR's job is handling something that important they really ought to be more genteel.

Exactly...being talked down too by this gentleman was the worst feeling i felt since my freshman days at high school 20 years ago when i was involved in altercation with a Senior because i was looking at his girlfriend to long and was slapped in my face in front of everyone. I'll never forget that day, i felt like a peon then. And that day was relived this morning when the call came in.

Message 22 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

74king wrote:

Exactly...being talked down too by this gentleman was the worst feeling i felt since my freshman days at high school 20 years ago when i was involved in altercation with a Senior because i was looking at his girlfriend to long and was slapped in my face in front of everyone. I'll never forget that day, i felt like a peon then. And that day was relived this morning when the call came in.

74king, I hope she was looking back! Smiley Wink

One of the ways that I have made my life a little better is to decide to let go of nasty treatment by total strangers. I have no control over them; they decided to be rude long before I appeared on the scene; so it really isn't something that I triggered by my actions. They're just jerks and/or idiots, or mybe they're just having an incredibly bad day. Smiley Happy

Again, it doesn't excuse it, but it takes away my emotional reactions to the actions of a total stranger.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

74king, I hope she was looking back! Smiley Wink

One of the ways that I have made my life a little better is to decide to let go of nasty treatment by total strangers. I have no control over them; they decided to be rude long before I appeared on the scene; so it really isn't something that I triggered by my actions. They're just jerks and/or idiots, or mybe they're just having an incredibly bad day. Smiley Happy

Again, it doesn't excuse it, but it takes away my emotional reactions to the actions of a total stranger.

Your absolutely right.......and as for the girl, she can up to me later that day before i went to Drama class and apologized for what happened....can you believe that. apologizing for what he did. I'm still trying to figure it out why woman fall for those type of guys. Way off topicSmiley Wink Maybe one of these days I'll find out, who knows. 

Message 24 of 30
athensguy
Valued Contributor

I like the bronze rule: Treat others as they treat you.

Smiley Happy
Message 25 of 30
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Haven't been FR'rd and I hope I'm not.  All CL's on all my accounts are intact, but I'm only running about 3% util.  Anyway, I think where you live and who you work for (industry) has a lot to do with who gets the 'bend over' exam.  FICO scores have been quickly shown not to be the 'be all - end all' indicator of who is at risk.  No one has posted where they live or line of work, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that two people with similar financials (FICO and length of account) should not be treated the same if one lives in Phoenix and works as a home builder vs one that lives in Houston and works in the oil industry.  AMEX's attitude may leave something to be desired but these are NOT dumb people.  They have very sophisticated AI systems that can sift and sort data.  I have to believe they are more advanced than VISA / MC in this area and they are out front in this area.  If I get FR'd so be it.  I'm not going to throw away 3 accounts dating back to 1980.  Let 'em look.  We are only partly way through this rearrangement of credit so many people will have much more scrutiny put on us to see if we are good credit risks.  That's the way it used to be and that's where we have to get back to.  Loose standards were a disaster.  We should be treated with respect but I don't think we should be insulted when asked to show our real financial position.  FICO just doesn't cut it any more when it can be gamed so easily.
Message Edited by Watchmann on 05-28-2009 11:21 PM
Message 26 of 30
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:
Haven't been FR'rd and I hope I'm not.  All CL's on all my accounts are intact, but I'm only running about 3% util.  Anyway, I think where you live and who you work for (industry) has a lot to do with who gets the 'bend over' exam.  FICO scores have been quickly shown not to be the 'be all - end all' indicator of who is at risk.  No one has posted where they live or line of work, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that two people with similar financials (FICO and length of account) should not be treated the same if one lives in Phoenix and works as a home builder vs one that lives in Houston and works in the oil industry.  AMEX's attitude may leave something to be desired but these are NOT dumb people.  They have very sophisticated AI systems that can sift and sort data.  I have to believe they are more advanced than VISA / MC in this area and they are out front in this area.  If I get FR'd so be it.  I'm not going to throw away 3 accounts dating back to 1980.  Let 'em look.  We are only partly way through this rearrangement of credit so many people will have much more scrutiny put on us to see if we are good credit risks.  That's the way it used to be and that's where we have to get back to.  Loose standards were a disaster.  We should be treated with respect but I don't think we should be insulted when asked to show our real financial position.  FICO just doesn't cut it any more when it can be gamed so easily.

All true, but AMEX should be able to form a reasonably good notion of my financial position from information they already have or can readily obtain:

• I've had a personal account with them since 1982 with an excellent payment history
  • I have not carried a balance with AMEX for years
  • Since 1992 AMEX has sent mail to me at two addresses, both in the same zipcode
  • I've been with the same employer for over 10 years (and AMEX knows who that employer is because I've had an AMEX Corporate Card through my employers since 1998)
  • My wife and I have substantial equity in our residence
  • There has not been any recent change in my credit profile, purchasing patterns, or any other relevant aspect of my financial behavior
  • I have not applied for any type of credit for several years

If AMEX thinks they need any data beyond what they already know to determine my financial position then I think I can do without AMEX.  My principal reason for keeping my AMEX account active has been age of accounts since it is my oldest account, but I have other accounts dating from 1985 to 1990 so don't need them all that badly if they offend me.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 27 of 30
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I wouldn't let my MOTHER have copies of my Income Tax filings.  Much less a CCC.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly!

They have my info and if they look at my CR and the payments made (not my min payments) but the actual payments they can get a pretty good idea of my income!

My scores might be what they are now, but not too long ago before I switched jobs they were in the 700's.

They are getting back up there.

Message Edited by hp44 on 05-29-2009 10:47 AM
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

All true, but AMEX should be able to form a reasonably good notion of my financial position from information they already have or can readily obtain:

• I've had a personal account with them since 1982 with an excellent payment history
  • I have not carried a balance with AMEX for years
  • Since 1992 AMEX has sent mail to me at two addresses, both in the same zipcode
  • I've been with the same employer for over 10 years (and AMEX knows who that employer is because I've had an AMEX Corporate Card through my employers since 1998)
  • My wife and I have substantial equity in our residence
  • There has not been any recent change in my credit profile, purchasing patterns, or any other relevant aspect of my financial behavior
  • I have not applied for any type of credit for several years

If AMEX thinks they need any data beyond what they already know to determine my financial position then I think I can do without AMEX.  My principal reason for keeping my AMEX account active has been age of accounts since it is my oldest account, but I have other accounts dating from 1985 to 1990 so don't need them all that badly if they offend me.

Same here, the only reason that this card is still open is because of it age also for the extras i recieve when I travel. Hopefuly things will improve in the future.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.