Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiltion AMEX vs. Citi

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Hiltion AMEX vs. Citi

What are the differences between the two card besides one being AMEX and one being Citi? AMEX is loosing a lot of clients with Jetblue and Costco ending, I can see Hiltion ending and only being with Citi.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hiltion AMEX vs. Citi

I don't have one, but these are on my radar, so I can share you the link with comparisons! There are actually 4 cards it seems. 2 Citi and 2 Amex to choose from.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-use-points/credit-cards/index.html

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@corymcd88 wrote:

What are the differences between the two card besides one being AMEX and one being Citi? AMEX is loosing a lot of clients with Jetblue and Costco ending, I can see Hiltion ending and only being with Citi.

Those two have nothing to do with Amex's relationship with Hilton.  That card isnt going anywhere anytime in the near future.

Message 3 of 9
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I went with the Citi Hilton Reserve for the free night after $10,000 spend and the fact that I already had an Amex card at 35k and I didn't want to poke the bear so to speak.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 4 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

For most people the Citi Reserve will be the better option. Exceptions to this might be:

1. Those who have lots of spend at US Hilton properties

2. Those who spend lots in the 6x Hilton Amex categories, if they lack a better alternative card for these categories (unlikely)

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 9
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Amex Hilton Surpass is the best of the 4. Citi Reserve is the same benefits but earns less. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went with Surpass. Higher earning at Hiltons. Most of my Hilton spend is in the US. Plus I prefer the Surpass bonus categories, I use it for gas and groceries when not using Freedom or Discover. Reserve bonus categories are travel, and I have cards with better benefits and protection for travel spend.

I would only use Reserve for Hilton properties outside the US and wouldn't want to put 10k of spend on it to earn 1 free night. I use Prestige for foreign Hiltons. 

Message 7 of 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

For most people the Citi Reserve will be the better option. Exceptions to this might be:

1. Those who have lots of spend at US Hilton properties

2. Those who spend lots in the 6x Hilton Amex categories, if they lack a better alternative card for these categories (unlikely)

Actually all things being equal and ignoring the Signup bonuses with both cards the Amex offering are better

Citi Reserve points bonus and AF:

10X at Hilton 

5X on Airlines and Car rentals and

3X on everything else ( Which is what the Basic Amex one offers)

AF: $95

Citi Basic Hilton Card Points and AF:

6X points at Hilton

3X points at supermarkets, Drugstores and gas

2X on everything else

AF: $0

Amex surpass points and AF:

12X at Hilton brands

6X at dining, Supermarkets and Drugstores

3X everywhere else

AF: $75

Amex Basic hhoners points and AF:

7X at Hilton

5X dining, supermarkets and drugstores

3X everywhere else

AF: $0

The signup bonuses are better with Citi for the AF versions with the 2 free nights but if you signup for the Amex basic version though an ad on Hiltons website which I found while tryingto book a room I got an offer for $50 statement credit and 50,000 points after spending $750

The surpass AF is also cheaper

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 8 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

The free night certificate at 10k spending is what tips the decision to the Citi Reserve imo. The value on this can be quite high since it's not category capped.

I personally wouldn't bother putting any kind of spending other than Hilton charges on these cards, so the rest of the categories are irrelevant. There are much better options for dining, for example.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.