Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton HHonors Amex/Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

tag
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Hilton HHonors Amex/Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

I like these two cards, especially the SPG Amex, but was wondering if Amex operates the same way with its co-branded cards as it does with its regular cards. I know they are BK unfriendly and I do have a BK 5 1/5 years old. Would it be an automatic decline for either of these two CCs as well?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Re: Hilton HHonors Amex/Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

Bump, bump, bump, bump, bump ........ buuuuuuuuuuuuump!
Message 2 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My guess, guess, guess, guess.............. gueeessssssss Smiley Wink

AmEx is Amex. I think their BK policy applies to every product, and that basically the only difference among the cards are qualifying scores, and maybe number and recency of lates.

Unless we hear from someone with one of these cards, and I only remember a few people posting about them, I think you'll need to rely on a forum search, probably on the card names. Sorry I don't have anything more specific.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 10
Uniqua
Established Contributor

I just called Amex and inquired as to whether or not they would automatically decline me for these two CCs if I have a BK showing on my CR. That little CSR had no clue what I was talking about. I asked her if there was a pre-approval website for Amex that I can utilize and she said no. You would either get it in the mail or by e-mail. That's funny, though, cause I just went to their website and did the pre-approval app. Didn't get any results, but I know it can be done. The CSR literally had no real answers for me. LOL. Poor thang!
Message 4 of 10
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I have the Starwoods card, along with a Gold Rewards Plus and an Optima Platinum, and all three seem to be run in the same AMEX mode.  I would suspect that they will say 'Nyet' because of your past BK. 
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uniqua wrote:
I like these two cards, especially the SPG Amex, but was wondering if Amex operates the same way with its co-branded cards as it does with its regular cards. I know they are BK unfriendly and I do have a BK 5 1/5 years old. Would it be an automatic decline for either of these two CCs as well?

I'm sorry but to me, the AMX reps just aren't that reliable in the info they give out.  However, I do know that with a BK as "recent" as yours, they may not approve either of those cards because they are SUPER paranoid about BKs!  I have the Hilton Honors card because I love the Hillton @ Fisherman's Wharf in San Franciasco and the Embassy Suites are nice all over.

But, then again, you just might get approved because there's no telling what they'll do at times. Unpredictabilty, ya know?  Keep your fingers crossed. Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 10
Uniqua
Established Contributor

I didn't think 5 1/2 years was that recent. Seems like they are "super" paranoid about BKs, but what gets me is that they weren't included in mine so why should they even care! It's not like I'm in jeopardy of filing BK again and I haven't had any late payments since 2002. But oh well. A tiger can't change its stripes, so I guess Amex won't change their policies.

I'm just looking to get another CC that is NOT a Visa. I have 3 Visas, but now I want either a Mastercard or Amex to complete my portfolio.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uniqua wrote:
I didn't think 5 1/2 years was that recent. Seems like they are "super" paranoid about BKs, but what gets me is that they weren't included in mine so why should they even care! It's not like I'm in jeopardy of filing BK again and I haven't had any late payments since 2002. But oh well. A tiger can't change its stripes, so I guess Amex won't change their policies.

I'm just looking to get another CC that is NOT a Visa. I have 3 Visas, but now I want either a Mastercard or Amex to complete my portfolio.

Well 5 and a half years to you and I isn't recent, true.  But, I had a neighbor who filed BK and they said it would drop off in ten years from his cr.  He tried to get one of the so-called "upper echelon" cards like AMEX and Chase (Chase is another one that doesn't want to hear the term BK!) and they politely told him his BK was "too recent" and it had been about the same time as yours.

But, as I said, you never know so if you want it, try.  That's the only way you'll now for sure.  Good luck!
Message 8 of 10
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Thanks for the encouragement, but I really don't think I'm going to apply any time soon unless I know FOR SURE they have lessened their restrictions on BK for those who did not include them. Unless, of course, it comes to me via mail pre-approved!
Message 9 of 10
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Rehashing a very old topic.  How is AmEx with opening CLs for these two CCs?  Looking to get $10k or more if I apply.  BK is GONE.  HOORAYYYYYYYY.  All replies are appreciated.  Thanx,

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.