Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton Honors Ascend Amex or other Priority Pass Select Credit Card options

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilton Honors Ascend Amex or other Priority Pass Select Credit Card options

I am STONGLY considering the new Hilton Honors Ascend AMEX. It would be my second AMEX. I do occasionally stay at Hilton's, so I could see myself getting "some" of the benefits by racking up some of the points, but my main purpose for getting it would be for the Priority Pass Select - 10 Free visits. This seems like the most logical option for getting access to the Priority Pass Select lounges without having to shell out the $450.00 or $550.00 through a premium card. Even though I would like to think I will, I most likely will not need lounge access more than 10 instances in a year. I do currently have the Delta Gold AMEX, so if I need access and am on a Delta flight, it would only be $29.00, so I am thinking that $95.00 for the AF to get access would be great. 

Are their any other cards out there that you all are able to think of for Priority Pass Select that have a lower fee than $450.00 or $550.00? A limited number of enterances is okay for me. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hilton Honors Ascend Amex or other Priority Pass Select Credit Card options

Chase Sapphire Reserve also comes with PPS that theoretically allows free unlimited guests as long as the lounges allow you. Annual fee is $450 but there is also annual credit of $300 for travel related spendings, effectively bringing it to $150. No hotel/airline elite status, unfortunately. But I think Hilton Ascend would be the only one offering PPS at $95 range.

Message 2 of 6
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I can't think of any card that offers complimentary Priority Pass without a $450-550 AF.  It sounds like if you only plan to use it a handful of times per year, you have the cheapest option.  However, most of these hefty AF cards have other benefits that can potentially satisfy or exceed the cost of the AF itself.  You're probably already aware of this, but for the sake of discussion, the Amex Platinum reimburses up to $200 Uber credits per year + $200 Airline credit per year + $100 TSA pre-check credit, which pretty much covers the annual fee.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the aspire card.
$250 annual travel credit
$250 resort fee credit
100K SUB valued at about $500

They pay you $50 to have the card even without the SUB.

Plus you get a free weekend night on signup and on anniversary. Can easily be a value from $2-$400 every year.

Plus you get diamond status. And get your priority pass.

You get positive value even after your first year, making it a keeper card for me, even if you don’t stay at Hilton but once in a blue.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only high AF cards that I'd truly value the travel credit enough to consider them at full value are the CSR and Citi Prestige since you can cleanly and openly use the travel credits for airline tickets: if you're gonna use lounge access then you're definitely gonna buy airline tickets, so you don't have to spend it on stuff you wouldn't otherwise do (Uber credit, airline incidentals). Netting the Prestige for the $350 AF would make the effective fee $100, right around the Hilton card, but you'd get free 4th night at hotels, unlimited free roadside, 3 hour trip delay, and 24 month purchase protection.

Asksebby used the Prestige to buy his cell phone then close to 2 years later (not sure if the phone broke? Seems about right timing lol) basically exchanged it and got a new phone effectively for free.
Message 5 of 6
JackBeNimble1
Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
The only high AF cards that I'd truly value the travel credit enough to consider them at full value are the CSR and Citi Prestige since you can cleanly and openly use the travel credits for airline tickets: if you're gonna use lounge access then you're definitely gonna buy airline tickets ...

I can't remember the last time I bought an airline ticket. I fly for free thanks to all of these signup bonuses!  

The Ascend is a fantastic card, especially in light of the situation the original poster described. Do it!  

Amex Gold, Amex Bonvoy, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex Every Day, Amex Hilton Biz, Amex Delta Biz, Barclays Arrival+, Barclays Rewards, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, Chase IHG Rewards, Chase United Explorer, Chase Sapphire
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.