Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton points..yay or nay?

tag
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Re: Hilton points..yay or nay?

@baller4life wrote:

Amex HHonors Surpass has a $75 AF and 75K signup bonus after $3k spend. 12X points at Hilton properties. 6X gas,restaurants and groceries. 3X all other purchases.

Amex HHonors has a $0 AF and 50k signup bonus after $750 spend. 7X points at Hilton properties. 5X gas,restaurants and groceries. 3X all other purchases. I haven't really looked into Citi's version much. 

So,it's really up to you which would work best for your needs.

Baller,

there is Hilton with $0 AF with 75k after $1k spend and 

Hilton Surpass $75 AF with 100k after $3k spend 

link out there 

Message 21 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've got a ton of Hawaiian airline miles that I don't have use for. I've researched and googled and i haven't found one successs story of anyone being able to book an award flight on a partner airline with HA points I don't see myself going to Hawaii for a couple of years and if I do I have a ton of AA points. I've also got a lot of Alaska points as well. I don't know much about Hilton but it seems like the points are ranked the lowest out of all the chains. But if I transfer my HA points, I come out ahead? Pair that with a nice sign up bonus in a couple of months or years down th road and I'll have myself another free vacation. Thoughts?

The other day I checked it out on HHilton website.

It seemed that I could get a $159 hotel stay for 60,000 points

I'm no travel rewards expert, but to me that sounds like the points are not worth much.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 22 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The points aren't worth that much, but hilton earnings are substantially higher than any other hotel chains earnings.

In the case of $159 for 60k points, each point is worth only 0.26 points (but I'm also assuming that $159 doesn't include taxes, which will bring the value up a bit).

However, you'll earn 10 points per dollar on Hilton spend just for being a hilton member. Plus another 12 points per dollar from the highest earning Hilton card (the Amex AF card). That card also gives you gold status, which is a 25% bonus on the original 10 points. So it's really 12.5 points per dollar, plus another 12 from the card. So that's 24.5 points per dollar spent at Hilton, not including any other bonuses or elite status "my way" rewards. So just at a valuation of 0.265 cents per point (which as I've mentioned is low) you're looking at an earning rate of 6.5 cents per dollar. (0.265 * 24.5)

Not too shabby
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I just want to get use out of the points.
Message 24 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I mean, if you're not going to use them on Hawaiian I would just transfer them. Otherwise they'll just sit and eventually expire.
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in NY and have booked rooms for 30k-45k a night at Hampton Inns in my area.  You can find rooms for 30-45k per night but outside of Manhattan. But in contrast, I was able to book a room at the Double Tree hotel in Orlando for 80k points for 5 days/4 nights and the 5th night is free because I was a Silver member (I'm now gold thanks to my recently approved Hilton Surpass).

The OP is correct... geography definitely plays a role in the redemption value of Hilton HHonors points. I now prefer Hilton brand hotels... I switched over from Marriott approximately two years ago. Even without a Hilton brand credit card, I was able to earn a lot of Hhonors points with the 2X points room rates and then combining this with other promos.  Now that I have a Hilton brand credit card, I'm really enjoying earning significantly more points. 

Just my 2 cents.

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am Marriott girl because of the way they treat me but I will generally stay wherever I get the best deal. If it's s Hilton, then it's a Hilton!
Message 27 of 28
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Hard to argue staying where they have the best deal. It's all a matter of your preference, which can vary from person to person.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.