Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton points..yay or nay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilton points..yay or nay?

I've got a ton of Hawaiian airline miles that I don't have use for. I've researched and googled and i haven't found one successs story of anyone being able to book an award flight on a partner airline with HA points I don't see myself going to Hawaii for a couple of years and if I do I have a ton of AA points. I've also got a lot of Alaska points as well. I don't know much about Hilton but it seems like the points are ranked the lowest out of all the chains. But if I transfer my HA points, I come out ahead? Pair that with a nice sign up bonus in a couple of months or years down th road and I'll have myself another free vacation. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Hilton points..yay or nay?

@Anonymous wrote:
I've got a ton of Hawaiian airline miles that I don't have use for. I've researched and googled and i haven't found one successs story of anyone being able to book an award flight on a partner airline with HA points I don't see myself going to Hawaii for a couple of years and if I do I have a ton of AA points. I've also got a lot of Alaska points as well. I don't know much about Hilton but it seems like the points are ranked the lowest out of all the chains. But if I transfer my HA points, I come out ahead? Pair that with a nice sign up bonus in a couple of months or years down th road and I'll have myself another free vacation. Thoughts?

From the research I have done, it really depends on what part of the country you try to book. Apparently redemption value on the east coast is terrible. However, here in Texas I can get a nice hotel for 30k/40k a night. And you can definitely rack up points pretty fast with HHonors.

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I've looked, it's terrible. However it seems like they are really easy to earn. I'm not a Hilton fan but I wasn't a Hyatt fan either and on my last vacation I had 4 free nights there. I go with whatever is free!
Message 3 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

5X gas,groceries and restaurants is pretty good IMO. And I won't be trying to New York area(where I hear point value REALLY sucks). So, they will fit my needs just fine.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many points are we talking about? I've seen a lot of their hotels that have a room for 30k/40k points a night. It gets even cheaper than that outside the US. I don't think the points on their own will be worth it, but if you pair it with a Hilton credit card/sign up bonus, then yeah I think so.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm actually going to NY soon but I won't be using any points, gotta replenish and save! Which reminds me I do have a free night from IHG to use! Which Hilton card is the best?
Message 6 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

Amex HHonors Surpass has a $75 AF and 75K signup bonus after $3k spend. 12X points at Hilton properties. 6X gas,restaurants and groceries. 3X all other purchases.

Amex HHonors has a $0 AF and 50k signup bonus after $750 spend. 7X points at Hilton properties. 5X gas,restaurants and groceries. 3X all other purchases. I haven't really looked into Citi's version much. 

So,it's really up to you which would work best for your needs.

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not paying an AF for a Hilton card so that's that, lol. Guess if and when it does happen if will have to be the no AF one.
Message 8 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Im not paying an AF for a Hilton card so that's that, lol. Guess if and when it does happen if will have to be the no AF one.

Haha! I totally feel you on that. Amex's no AF card seems to offer more than Citi's. Citi is 40k signup bonus points after $1000. 6X points at properties,3X supermarkets,drugstores and gas. 2X all other purchases.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't even really like hilton I just want rid of these points. Man I could get to Hawaii and back with all the points I've racked up on other airlines.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.