Hit with a foreign transaction fee

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Hit with a foreign transaction fee

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Welcome to the Club!  It is unfortunately not the currency that matters but the location of the payment processor Smiley Sad   ... my worst and completely unexpected FTF was www.aa.com for my airfare.. US site, US departure airport but payment processing in Hounslow, UK..... it bothered me so much that I switched my AA card from Citi to Barclays and problem solved Smiley Happy

Very strange that you were charged a FTF from aa.com.  I've made about 15 reservations thru them and never had an issue.  

+1

If you are in America, using their US site, it's extremely odd that the transaction would be processed overseas, especially for "American Airlines".  I can understand if you're paying in person at the AA counter in a UK airport, but if you're in the US that's really strange.

Was it a code share on BA metal?   (Which would still be a little strange to be charged a FTF)

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to go a little off the topic, but what's the correct response to do if you have a ftf hit that you did not expect?

And it was a non refundable purchase.
Message 12 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry to go a little off the topic, but what's the correct response to do if you have a ftf hit that you did not expect?

And it was a non refundable purchase.

Since the FTF is charged by your bank rather than the networks, I would just contact them and see, like a late fee, if it can waived if it is the first time.   The bigger it is, probably the harder to get removed

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@long

That really sucks.... The aforementioned aa ticket costing $2k+ and a damn 3% ftf fee....I would be pissed lol.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.