Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitting Minimum Spend Limit on a Low Credit Limit

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hitting Minimum Spend Limit on a Low Credit Limit

I was issued my Amex Hilton with the same $1k limit.  What I did was immediately pushed $3k from my bank account to my card using Bill Pay.  I ran all my normal purchases through the card and as charges posted it continually ate at the $3k credit.  Never had to hit the "checking spending power" button.  All charges went through without a problem and points were credited right after the spend limit was reached. 

Message 11 of 13
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

I was issued my Amex Hilton with the same $1k limit.  What I did was immediately pushed $3k from my bank account to my card using Bill Pay.  I ran all my normal purchases through the card and as charges posted it continually ate at the $3k credit.  Never had to hit the "checking spending power" button.  All charges went through without a problem and points were credited right after the spend limit was reached. 

I am surprised that Amex did not push it back to original account and just allowed the negative balance to show....interesting.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe Amex allows negative balance for 6 months before issuing check.

They are also one of the few issuers that will increase available credit by the negative balance. So on the $1,000 limit if you push $3,000 you will then have $4,000 available credit. Additionally, payments initiated from the Amex side will update available credit immediately.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.