New Contributor
Flatbroke_Again

Re: Hold'em or Fold'em?

cobra19, Point well taken, thank you. As of 1st next week, its bye. bye, little cardy, HA!
Alcohol--Tobacco--- & Firearms
Should be a convenience store, NOT a government agency!!!
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

Keep in mind that closed positive accounts report for 10 years after they're closed.  You won't lose the history or the age until that time comes anyway.

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
New Contributor
Flatbroke_Again

cheddar, Does that mean its a good or bad thing. far as ten years & aging on closed account. Can explain please?
Alcohol--Tobacco--- & Firearms
Should be a convenience store, NOT a government agency!!!
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem

Flatbroke_Again wrote:
cheddar, Does that mean its a good or bad thing. far as ten years & aging on closed account. Can explain please?

These accounts will continue to report and have a positive effect on your FICO scoring for ten years. I would close them if I were you.

I do have a question though. Let's say I close a 6 month old credit card. In 6 more months, would that account be considered a year old, or 6 months?
Here we go again...
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Flatbroke_Again wrote:

These accounts will continue to report and have a positive effect on your FICO scoring for ten years. I would close them if I were you.

I do have a question though. Let's say I close a 6 month old credit card. In 6 more months, would that account be considered a year old, or 6 months?

Age of any account is determined by its open date, whether it's currently open or closed.  In the situation you describe, the card would be a year old.

App free since 7/11/08.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

Flatbroke_Again wrote:

As FM posted above, this is a good thing.

It means that if you close those accounts today, they will continue to benefit you for 10 more years, contributing to payment history and average age of accounts during that time.
App free since 7/11/08.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}