Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday balances

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Holiday balances

I was just reading an email from myfico that linked to a post about holiday balances. It was from 2009, and talked about people suffering creditwise after carrying balances over the holidays... Including cards cutting limits and such.

Am I right in assuming that CCs aren't really doing that now? I've read before that things like balance chasing have diminished in the last 2 years. For me, I always pay well more than the minimum but I rarely PIF. That means I usually have a balance at times, but good payment and usage history.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Holiday balances

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:
I was just reading an email from myfico that linked to a post about holiday balances. It was from 2009, and talked about people suffering creditwise after carrying balances over the holidays... Including cards cutting limits and such.

Am I right in assuming that CCs aren't really doing that now? I've read before that things like balance chasing have diminished in the last 2 years. For me, I always pay well more than the minimum but I rarely PIF. That means I usually have a balance at times, but good payment and usage history.

Eh, as long as your not carrying high util. 60% or over for months I wouldn't worry about it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 5
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

So if they see high util, they could cut limits? How likely is that? I have one card with very high util, but it's a low limit cap one that I'm going to pay down and kill. My main cards carry high at times, but I pay size able payments each month and then don't use until statement generates.
Message 3 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:
So if they see high util, they could cut limits? How likely is that? I have one card with very high util, but it's a low limit cap one that I'm going to pay down and kill. My main cards carry high at times, but I pay size able payments each month and then don't use until statement generates.

If they see high util. over the course of months and months it might send a red flag up, but as long as your making big payments I would not get spooked about it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 5
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Also, does using a card too frequently during the holidays look bad, even if you make regular payments?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.