Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holy cannoli, NFCU!!!

tag
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Re: Holy cannoli, NFCU!!!

Ryvision, 

That is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard in my life. You literally have no clue.  If you haven't served a day in your life than don't make a blanket generalization about our servicemembers. 

I can personally guarantee you that less than 1/10th of 1% of service members visit myfico or fatwallet or creditboards.  As someone else said, NFCU expanded their field of membership in 2008, it's not like we had special briefs from our commanders to join a credit union while out on patrol in Patika province... 

Anyways,

Yes, this is another case where a rep didn't fully screen the applicant.  In what world does a grandchild become a member because of a deceased grandparent that served 70 years ago? If this were the case - than the veterans who cannot join NFCU can have their childen and children's children join - than join because of family membership. Think about. 

NFCU security department will review OPs file. It's not pretty when it happens - see the numerous threads on this board and others about Navy Federal Security Department. 

Message 31 of 49
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I have to agree with Ryvision. NFCU does all sorts of membership blitzes and tons of advertising. There isn't a single reason why an active duty soldier never heard of NFCU, either by word of mouth (people talk) or by way of promotional communications.

@RemyWinchester - Ryvision has an opinion to which they are entitled, so knock it off with the "you literally have no clue" garbage. I'm a member by way of my stepfather, but i'm the farthest from the type who holds military members on a pedestal because they signed up for a job.

Message 32 of 49
RemyWinchester
Contributor

you're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. Never once did I say put military members on a pedestal, but for once, to even suggest that it's veterans' faults for not joining is the most asinine statement I've literally ever heard. 

Sure, in the past few years there has been an ad campaign, but I can ASSURE you this was not the case pre-2008. 

Here's another way to think about it: People care calling in and getting into NFCU because of a decease grandparent VETERAN. Key word veteran. So how does it make sense that living veterans are not eligible, but their family members are? 

Message 33 of 49
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

Exactly. If the grandparent was an NFCU member, then a grandchild can be. Just being a veteran apparently is not enough to open the door to family members and the eligbility wizard is slightly misleading IMO.

People are just warning the OP and others that if security finds out the CU did not vet you properly, that you can find yourself ousted and owing NOW. So don't run up those cards or loans just yet.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 34 of 49
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Silver -

That's the point I'm trying to make. Thanks for clearing it up. I have NO issue with family members joining, but in this case (and many many others on this board and CB) people are calling in to get access and their grandparents were not members.  

Literally every single multi-generation American family would be eligible if it only meant military service at some point. The key is the member has to be a Navy Federal member first. Front-line reps at NFCU are making mistakes and the security department who verifies eligibility will do their due diligence. 

People don't like hearing the truth, or people just want what they can't have. 

Message 35 of 49
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

Back when I got mine, it was pretty much Navy and Marines only. You had to be at an overseas station to sign up, although I think they had branches in DC where you could join. You had to be in a physical branch though and most were overseas...I remember joining in Sicily. My seniors told us we definitely wanted to sign up with them.

People do need to be aware of what may happen if they are deemed not eligible down the line. I have read a couple cases here and it ain't pretty.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 36 of 49
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Poki wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@Poki wrote:

Remember: current active personnel, retirees and annuitants. Simply being a veteran does not qualify for membership.

Hurts my heart that I can't join (veteran), yet I know a high school dropout that joined thanks to his Grandpa. I've written the National Credit Union Administration about eight times so far, Modcut

oh... congratulations, lol Smiley Very Happy I see they are giving $250 for re-financing with theme (and their rates are usually pretty good). Looks like you just missed out on their $100 bonus for opening a checking account with theme.

I've gotten a better picture over the last several months about why so many Vets aren't members.  They had Years to become members but didn't.  Some personal responsibility about not getting in might be a thought.

I've been trying for months myself to get an active (stateside now) military member to join (actually, closer to a year).  He says they heard all about NFCU when they first got in (they get ads from them, hear about them and see branches on bases) but isn't sure he's interested.  So no one keeps "Vets" out but themselves.   If someone is a Vet, then they were at some point active military and had every chance to join.

NFCU is not there or setup for Vets.  It's there FOR ACTIVE military, Retired and THEIR families.   Read their requirements.  Has nothing to do with the NCUA.

I have just as much respect for Vets as the next guy, but at some point, they might want to see they had just as much opportunity to join as any other service member while active duty or if they stayed into retirement. Vets also qualify under Their retired military family members. 

NCUA plays a bigger roll than you think.

I've never been stationed on one of the bases with a NFCU branch, not even Camp Pendleton has a branch (though they have theme off base). NFCU was not always open to all military branches, not until May 2008. Never received any "ads", not sure what you mean by that. Neither have I heard much about theme.

Its not nice making assumptions. 

I saw your original post (before the mod edit).  So I wouldn't bring up  "assumptions".

"on bases" was a misnomer, it should be "near bases".       The NCUA only makes sure a CU adheres to their own rules (charter)  when it comes to membership, that is why NFCU is so strict about eligibility.   Personally, I feel Vets should be eligible (I'm guessing, they will be one day).

Original point being, a high school drop out has no more privilege to join than a Vet other than who they're related to.  Vets are not excluded from that route.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 37 of 49
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@RemyWinchester wrote:

you're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. Never once did I say put military members on a pedestal, but for once, to even suggest that it's veterans' faults for not joining is the most asinine statement I've literally ever heard. 

Sure, in the past few years there has been an ad campaign, but I can ASSURE you this was not the case pre-2008. 

Here's another way to think about it: People care calling in and getting into NFCU because of a decease grandparent VETERAN. Key word veteran. So how does it make sense that living veterans are not eligible, but their family members are? 

Now it's your turn to be called out as making an ignorant statement.  NFCU does NOT let people in because of a deceased grandparent "VETERAN" as you say.  Only a an active military or RETIRED VET that received a pension.  HUGE difference.    So you yourself might want to read up a little more on exactly how someone is eligible.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 38 of 49
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@RemyWinchester wrote:

Silver -

That's the point I'm trying to make. Thanks for clearing it up. I have NO issue with family members joining, but in this case (and many many others on this board and CB) people are calling in to get access and their grandparents were not members.  

Literally every single multi-generation American family would be eligible if it only meant military service at some point. The key is the member has to be a Navy Federal member first. Front-line reps at NFCU are making mistakes and the security department who verifies eligibility will do their due diligence. 

People don't like hearing the truth, or people just want what they can't have. 

Again you're wrong.   The key is that the person wanting to become a member has to have a connection to someone who is\was ELIGIBLE to become a member, usually that means retired and NFCU has all those records.  If the person referenced is or was a member, that only makes it quicker and easier some of the time.

If Poki's grandparent was retired with a pension paid by DFAS, but not an NFCU member, Poki can still become a member. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 39 of 49
Poki
Valued Member

@USF813 wrote:

I have to agree with Ryvision. NFCU does all sorts of membership blitzes and tons of advertising. There isn't a single reason why an active duty soldier never heard of NFCU, either by word of mouth (people talk) or by way of promotional communications.

@RemyWinchester - Ryvision has an opinion to which they are entitled, so knock it off with the "you literally have no clue" garbage. I'm a member by way of my stepfather, but i'm the farthest from the type who holds military members on a pedestal because they signed up for a job.

I can assure you not every Soldier, Marine, Airman, or Sailor has been subjected to "tons of advertising". Word of mouth doesn't always convey much meaning. I mean this in an honest way, no argumentation.

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.