cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holy crap. Just approved for Discover It card and a couple others.

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Holy crap. Just approved for Discover It card and a couple others.

@Razeus wrote:

Well I pushed my luck.

Called up Barclays to increase my current CL of $500 (3 years old) to something respectable.  They only bumped it up $350.  

Apped for Chase Sapphire (non-Preferred) and got the "we need to evaluate".  Called the back door number and explained, that yes I've opened a few cards yesterday, but I bank with Chase and have savings there.  They brought up my student loan lates, but I told them that was last year and should become a year old in October, but I've never been late on a card payment.  She replied they gave me the Freedom card and will see how I do with that.  

Oh well.  At least I'll get the denial letter to get my free credit reports to have (I usually pull 2x a year).  September 2013 is marked on my calendar to re-app.  My mortgage HP's in January 2012 (all denied), and May 2012 (approved)  and these recent 5 HP's for credit cards will be all over a year old by then and shouldn't count against me.  Chase Sapphire and AMEX Blue Preferred versions are my targets.

At least I can say I was 4 for 4 on my apps.  Thank you guys for all your help and insight.  Time to hit the garden until fall 2013.  

Yes, the sappire denial should be accurately taken as a sign that you should stop apping, and you should totally garden. 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 31 of 43
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS! :-)

This reminds me of the OP the other day that got a $11k+ limit with Discover.

UGH! So jealous... I want to get the Amex BCE...I only have a co-branded Travelocity Amex

I've been wanting that card since I saw it back it '06 way before I turned 18.  Every time I've apped though, I get denied! lol

And while those are good scores, I though Amex usually liked to see high 700 scores...

I need to wait several months before applying for any Amex or Disc card though LOL

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 32 of 43
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Ya, I thought I was going to get an instant denial/are you crazy?/look at this idiot denial, but when I saw that AMEX screen Congrations! You're approved, I damn near fell out of my chair.  I might have even yelped (I know I almost dropped the phone with the Discover rep when she told me my credit line).  I've been trying to get an AMEX since I was 18, and look at me now 17 years later with the last year being total conscientious about my finances.

Unitl this morning, I still didn't think Discover gave that much and I may have been dreaming.  But I received an email this morning saying my account is setup and ready to go and sure enough when I logged in, "Credit Available - $10,000" (I did think I logged into someone else's account by mistake, lol).  The card should be here today via UPS.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 33 of 43
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Is the 61st day of asking AMEX for the CLI on my BCE from the day I was approved or day I activated the card?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 34 of 43
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

Don't know what got into me today, but I decided to app for a few "dream" cards, even though I was going to wait.  But I applied at my top 3 places and got approved for all three:

Discover It Card: $10,000 CL (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Chase Freedom Card: $5000 (!!!!!!)

AMEX Zync: no predetermined limit (!!!!!)

Good bye to my low limit Capital One "Platinum" and Barclay Visa cards.  

Today is a damn good day!

edit: 

Approved for AMEX Blue Cash Everyday $1,000 CL (Smiley Sad). I will CLI in 60 days.

Where is the link to apply for discover it card???  cant find on there web site

Message 35 of 43
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/get-discover/index-beyond.html?ICMPGN=TNV_GETDC_TXT

My Wallet:
Message 36 of 43
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/get-discover/index-beyond.html?ICMPGN=TNV_GETDC_TXT

thank you

What are the benefits over the discover more card??

Harder to be approved for???

Message 37 of 43
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

@Razeus wrote:

thank you

What are the benefits over the discover more card??

Harder to be approved for???

Well if they gave it to me with a $10,000 CL (a guy who's highest CL was $1300 for the last decade with only 2 cards and spotty credit as recently as a year ago) I don't think so...Smiley Very Happy

I never had the More card and this was the card that was up when I went to discover.com.  This is my first Discover product, but I'm guess the "no fees for anything" is the selling point over the More card.

AMEX and Discover were the 2 companies that simply would not give me credit over the years.  But I've been on top of my credit over the last 12 months and will end the year very strong now that I just closed my mortgage Aug. 9th, and opened 2 lines with $5k limits and a couple of AMEX's.  I guess the credit agency's were asleep at the wheel when I got online and went on an app-spree.

The card came in today, so the credit score they used on me should be in it (I hope) so I'll report back when I get home and do the unboxing.

My Wallet:
Message 38 of 43
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

The package and card is beautiful. 

The score they pulled for me was 687 via Equifax.

My Wallet:
Message 39 of 43
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your approvals and your new mortgage. I know it's all an awesome feeling to say the least.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.