cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot OR Lowe's, couldn't decide. Just Approved Online for BOTH - What to do??

tag
n2win
Regular Contributor

Home Depot OR Lowe's, couldn't decide. Just Approved Online for BOTH - What to do??

Really low limits though,
Lowes = $600 and
HD is $750,
would like to just have ONE of them with a CL that I could actually use to do some remodeling in my kitchen, can't buy much with that kind of money (of course I will (almost) PIF every month Smiley Very Happy

eta to add other card limits
Target                   $500     Smiley Mad
WF Secured         $2000   Smiley Happy
BofA Visa              $1500  Smiley Happy
Crown J                $2500  Smiley Tongue
Home Depot          $750   Smiley Sad
Lowes                    $600   Smiley Sad

Any suggestions for which Card might be better to ask for CLI, and how/when, etc to improve my chances?

Thanks for all your advice here, this is/YOU ARE fabulous Smiley Happy

Message Edited by n2win on 09-10-2008 01:50 AM
Goal: acquire and use Credit Cards, scores in the 700's in 2009
05/04/08 FICOS: EQ = 626; TU = 636: EX = 623
06/21/09 FICOS: EQ = 692; TU = 729; EX = 731 (CCT FAKO)
10/03/11 FICO EQ = 722 (CCT EQ = 749)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home Depot OR Lowe's, couldn't decide. Just Approved Online for BOTH - What to do??

Service at Home Depot is going down the toilet in many Home Depots in the country. What used to be a pleasure is now a drudge and I've gotten to where I qon't walk into a Home Depot. For that reason I would certainly pick Lowe's.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home Depot OR Lowe's, couldn't decide. Just Approved Online for BOTH - What to do??

Home Depot has given us 2 CLI's in the first year- started at $500 (in-store Saturday app., I'm guessing that's just standard), requested a CLI and got $2k a couple weeks later, then got an auto CLI to $3500 after a few months.

It's certainly worth a shot with them, particularly if you're showing heavy usage/payments.

Couldn't tell you about Lowe's...

-MsMS
Message 3 of 7
n2win
Regular Contributor

Well, based on the CL, Home Depot likes me $150.00 better than Lowe's, lol...Smiley Very Happy
Goal: acquire and use Credit Cards, scores in the 700's in 2009
05/04/08 FICOS: EQ = 626; TU = 636: EX = 623
06/21/09 FICOS: EQ = 692; TU = 729; EX = 731 (CCT FAKO)
10/03/11 FICO EQ = 722 (CCT EQ = 749)
Message 4 of 7
hbmcracer
Valued Member

I agree with the above statement that the service in most HD stores has gone in the toilet.  Luckily I have a brand new store near me in a low population area so it's not rediculously busy like most.

I also have to say that Lowes GW'd a late payment that I had a couple years ago and the customer service was very pleasant to work with.  I wrote them a letter for the GW and they called me and sent a letter to inform me that they were going to take off the late payment.  Gave me a +7 jump.  I told the CSR that I would definitely be keeping my Lowes credit card when I decide who to **bleep**can and who to keep after fixing my credit.
7-24-08 EQ 537
8-20-08 EQ 568
5-13-09 EQ 606
10-18-10 TU 633
12-20-11 TU 671
Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

As a rule, Citi (HD) is better with CLI's than GEMB (Lowe's), but YMMV --there are so many individual factors.

We're lucky --we have one of each within a mile of one another, and neither is very crowded, so the service isn't bad. HD got our hardwood flooring business because we stood around for nearly a half hour at Lowe's and never saw an employee. But this varies so much by individual stores, managers, and employees!

And then there's the Tony Stewart vs Jimmie Johnson angle, which is huge where I live. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 7
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

n2win wrote:
Really low limits though,
Lowes = $600 and
HD is $750,
would like to just have ONE of them with a CL that I could actually use to do some remodeling in my kitchen, can't buy much with that kind of money (of course I will (almost) PIF every month Smiley Very Happy

eta to add other card limits
Target                   $500     Smiley Mad
WF Secured         $2000   Smiley Happy
BofA Visa              $1500  Smiley Happy
Crown J                $2500  Smiley Tongue
Home Depot          $750   Smiley Sad
Lowes                    $600   Smiley Sad

Any suggestions for which Card might be better to ask for CLI, and how/when, etc to improve my chances?

Thanks for all your advice here, this is/YOU ARE fabulous Smiley Happy

Message Edited by n2win on 09-10-2008 01:50 AM

My daughter went to HD to buy appliances so she openend an account  they offered her a $1000 CL, she told them she couldn't possibly order squat with that CL so they gave her $2000 before she even left the store. Not too shabby.
Here the HD has superb service so does Lowes. I shop both .
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.