Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot Pre-Qual

tag
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

Home Depot Pre-Qual

How "on point" is this pre-qualification?

Could use it for some things coming up.  Have had a little bit of a spree lately...I know it's backed by Citi.  Scores are ehh at best.  640-680 or so.  Some new accounts within the last month.  8 or so percent util. 

Just curious about experiences with thier prequal and limits and so forth Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Home Depot Pre-Qual

They sent me a mails, then didn't find me a match online. I've already had a Commercial acct for awhile, so I didn't apply. The Commercial Acct was instantly approved for $4k where it remains today. I had a clean file, mid 700s Fico at the time. I think it's pretty easy if you're around 650.
Message 2 of 10
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Just checked to see if I'm pre-approved for this card on their site and I am. I applied and I got this message..

We are unable to process your application with the information provided. Please call the number below and provide your reference number to complete your application.

Wonder if it's because of how many inquiries I have in the past week haha, they prob think someone is trying to open cards in my name. They open at 6 am eastern so I'll call in a few hours.

Message 3 of 10
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Checked my report and saw no inquiries, called in and they don't have any application so the app never went through. Went back to the HD site and applied again, approved for 500, immediately called and requested 5k and got it.

So, pre-approval did lead to an approval for me at least.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre approval led to an approval for me as well. I don't think I've read (YET) anyone being declined for this card with a preapproval but as always, YMMV.
Message 5 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Eyisila wrote:

How "on point" is this pre-qualification?

Never rely on prequals.  For one thing you have no idea when the SP was performed and what changed with your credit since then.

@Eyisila wrote:

Just curious about experiences with thier prequal and limits and so forth

Limits are based on credit and income.  What your credit qualifies for determines the limit you stand to receive -- not the experiences of others.  All this applies to any card and creditor.

Message 6 of 10
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

I checked their pre-qual monthy and never got it until 2 weeks ago.  I applied and got the "you need to call" message.  After verifying information, I got "approved!" for $601.  I called in and said that we were looking at replacing all the carpet in the house with hardwood floors and needed a higher limit.....approved for $10K!  YMMV

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for your input. 

I understand that prequals are never guarantees, I was just looking for others experiences.  Citi/Home Depot has never SP'd me.  Even when I was approved last month for the AA card, it was basically a cold app.  No pre-qual at their site or mailer or anything. 

Was just looking for other people experiences and what happened to them.  The forum members are a wealth of information and give great advice on what happened to them, how their profiles are etc whenever applications happen.  Thus it gives a good reference point as to whether or not the proverbial plunge should happen.  Of course, it is going to vary person to person, profile to profile, but the as a, sort of, base point to start from, invaluable is an understatement.

I appreciate everyone and the information provided.  It is very much appreciated.

Message 8 of 10
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

Checked my report and saw no inquiries, called in and they don't have any application so the app never went through. Went back to the HD site and applied again, approved for 500, immediately called and requested 5k and got it.

So, pre-approval did lead to an approval for me at least.

GRATS.  Well I didn't mean for someone to just go an app LOL.

Thanks!!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley SurprisedWow that is some jump!! Congratulations!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.