Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot - apply online or in-store?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Depot - apply online or in-store?

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers about applying for the Home Depot store card.  Should I apply in store, or apply online?  I need some carpet - and a few more things - for my house so I was thinking I would apply in-store and be able to use the credit at the same time.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home Depot - apply online or in-store?

I would say in the store, if you get declined, you can at least check everything out while you are there Smiley Wink.

When I applied for best buy i tried online and was declined, went to the store a week later and was approved for the store card and the mc card. same thing happened with lowes so i think they are a little bit more lenient when you are in the store because there is more of a possibility of you buying something right then but I don't know for sure.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning Shelby, I applied in-store for my Home Depot CC last march from my experience MHO I would say that applying in the store is better. Anytime you can talk directly with a person other than a computer most people believe your chances are better less room for mistakes or ? a person can ask, or answer on the spot. Now that is JMHO there is no way of knowing if this has any bearing on the credit approval process. Hopefully this will be some help to you GL with your applicationwink smiley
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

im too nervous to app in store since they declined me online! ><
Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I applied online and was approved automatically. (This was for the store card, not the MC.) They gave me the account number and special secret number so that I could go ahead and charge at the store before the card arrived if I wanted.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I think in store might have better chances in certain cases. If I have a choice I would apply in store.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may get a bigger credit limit if you app online.  We applied in store (dunno if it helped that we already had a lawnmower and miter saw in the cart with us Smiley Wink ), and only got a $500 limit.  It went up to $2k very shortly thereafter, possibly because we spent all $500, possibly because they had time to review our reports and give us a more appropriate line. 

It was a weekend, they were busy, and I suspect we may have gotten the 2k right off if we'd applied online... but then we wouldn't have been able to use it that day for the really good sale they had going!

-MsMS
Message 7 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if you apply online, you can go instantly to store and use it before you get your card in mail.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you guys' replies. Does the online app normally give instant approvals?
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes-
Unless you have an address mismatch, a Fraud Alert or any type of consumer statement.  

shelby127 wrote:
Thanks for you guys' replies. Does the online app normally give instant approvals?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.