Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot cashiers asking if you'll be using their card

tag
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Re: Home Depot cashiers asking if you'll be using their card

Does HD have a store card that tracks your spending? Lowes has the MyLowe's card and usually the cashiers are referring to that if they don't solicit the cc after.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 11 of 14
msbia
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have gotten Lowe's to price match, and then BEAT Home Depot by 10% and then apply the 5% discount for the use of the card.  Depending on the item it is definitely worth at least trying.

Yep, ditto. I just bought a washer/dryer on Sunday at Lowe's. They price-matched, then gave me a 10% discount with my dd214 for veteran's. On top of that they had a promo that the front end manager didn't even realize was on, the 18 mo. 0% financing. To say I left with a smile was an understatement.

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 12 of 14
core
Valued Contributor

I was just reading the Lowes terms a few minutes ago trying to resist the urge to app and it says the 5% discount does NOT apply on price matched items and you can't use any coupons either.

Also came across several posts that said Home Depot doesn't always match the 5% deal when you ask.  Seems like it's completely up to the local manager or whoever is there that day.  Am I going to ask to speak to a manager for every $30 purchase?  Heck no.  And it's not in writing anywhere.  I think I will pass on that card for now.

Message 13 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@core wrote:

Any HD employees here?  Why do they need to know ahead of time whether I'll be using a HD card?  I shop there 3-4 times a week and it's always like this:

"Will you be using a Home Depot card today?"

"No."

And that's it.  They rarely even try to sell me one.  What's the point of asking if there's no sales pitch afterwards?  Do you get some freebie rung up at the register and that's why they need to know before ringing up the first item?  It makes no sense.  It's driving me nuts.

I have even switched my responses around to see what their game is.  I have responded:

"Yes".  And then later I hand them a Home Depot _gift_ card.  No lady popping out of a cake.

or

"No, your card is a ripoff."

No change.  Once I asked if there was cash back.  No.  That's when I started using the ripoff line.  But these employees are taking a lot of time asking every single customer this and there must be a good reason.

From a brief personal experience working for the depot as a Front-end Supervisor some time ago. I can tell you it's more than likely just to pique interest in the card. They tend to vary between shoving the card down your throat and the approach you're speaking of.

When the Home office tells the stores to ask the question and the manager tells the supervisors to ask the question then I suspect the cashiers are just following orders AND should they not their supervisor will note it.  Frankly I think its a very subtle way of "suggesting" the card. Target does this all the time and then they "push" the 5% discount. I also suspect that it's a subtle suggestion to use their card rather than AmEx or MC/V because that'll save HD a ton of swipe fees over a day or week or month nationwide.

Note I closed my Target card as the toy limit and lack of CLI's made it a bigger PIA than it was worth for the 5% and if/when I'm asked now I said "nope I closed it, found it useless" and that ends the sales push. I have a Home Depot card and Lowes card and tend to favor Lowes, but I don't feel obligated to use a store card anytime, unless it's my choice.

I'd rather a cashier say something to me even if its to ask if I'll use their card rather than being ignorded as they talk to the cashier next to them about whatever.....

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.