cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot discontinuing 5% no defer offer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Depot discontinuing 5% no defer offer?

I was in Home Depot today and as usual asked for the 5% off at checkout.

The cashier gave it, then said that it was going away 1/26.

She said the 5% Lowes discount was going away too.

In store I thought she meant that HD had heard Lowes was discontinuing their 5% offer and so they were following suite.

Now I think she actually meant the HD 5% discount when you show your Lowes card.

Has anyone heard anything to confirm/deny?

The discount is the main reason I got the card so I'll be sad if it goes away.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home Depot discontinuing 5% no defer offer?

@Anonymous wrote:

In store I thought she meant that HD had heard Lowes was discontinuing their 5% offer and so they were following suite.

Now I think she actually meant the HD 5% discount when you show your Lowes card.

I think you encountered a misinformed cashier at least regarding Lowes.  I shop there all the time and have heard nothing at all about their 5% discount going away.  Hard to see the benefit of HD not continuing their matching of Lowe's discount.

Message 2 of 11
core
Valued Contributor

I thought the 5% match was on a case-by-case basis and not honored by all stores.  That's the main reason I never applied for the card.

I'm glad I didn't apply though.  All the gas stations around here sell Home Depot cards so I get 5% off anyway from my gas credit cards.  10% from Discover  this quarter!  Hard to beat that.

Message 3 of 11
jeffery581
Established Contributor

5% is automatic at all stores.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 4 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you encountered a misinformed cashier at least regarding Lowes.  I shop there all the time and have heard nothing at all about their 5% discount going away.  Hard to see the benefit of HD not continuing their matching of Lowe's discount.

Agreed I have the Amex Lowes card and get 5% off + 2 pt per $1

It's also works at HD for price match of 5% just for showing my card

Now if that option were discontinued it would certainly make me think twice about shopping at HD so I can't see them even thinking that in relationship to their #1 competitor and the chance to steal some business as well as every time I do this ....They offer my an HD card.....

Ummm no thanks Lol I get the same perks here at HD with my Lowes card ......SMH

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 11
core
Valued Contributor

@jeffery581 wrote:

5% is automatic at all stores.

How can it be "automatic" when you have to show your Lowes card to the Home Depot cashier just to prove you have one, and then she has to do whatever she does to give you the 5% off?  I'm confused.  Are we talking about the same discount?

Message 6 of 11
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Yes. Its on your receipt. I generally swipe myself and it appears on my receipt.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's is a 5% discount if you have a Lowes card and show it.

You also get the discount if you have a Home Depot card and ask for it.

Some stores may give it automatically - ones in my area don't.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update on this...

I went to two different HD stores on Sun/Mon to purchase products and both times asked for the 5% discount for using my HD card.

Both places said they aren't doing it anymore because they price-match.

A bit annoying, since it's not worth it to me to spend 30 min price-matching Menards/Lowes/etc to save $.15 off a $10 purchase.  On bigger purchases, yes, but I did that even with the 5%.

Maybe it's time to look at getting a Lowes card again.

Message 9 of 11
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Don't understand why they have never matched this permanently and automatically.  Besides financing, why would anyone carry a HD credit card (and why would HD not want to avoid interchange fees on credit cards)?  Also, assuming comparable items and prices (and no 5% CB deal from Chase/Citi/Discover), Lowe's has the price advantage if you have their card.

I definitely favor Lowe's because of the discount and only go to HD if I need something on a weekend or Lowe's doesn't have it (there's a Lowe's on my way home from work, but the nearest Lowe's from home is about 9 miles vs. 3 for HD).

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.