Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot slashed my CL again

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Home Depot slashed my CL again

Bah....I logged onto my Home Depot credit card account last night and found that they had cut my CL from $15,000 to $2501.  Previously, I discovered that they had cut my line from $15,000 to $5001, but after calling to inquire - and after they did a hard pull - they restored my original CL.  Back then, I was told that my CL was cut because the card had been idle for a long time.  However, I just used my card a couple weeks back.  Yet they still cut the line!

I don't think it's worth my trouble to fight for a restoration of my CL, especially if it's going to result in another inquiry.  What a shame. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Home Depot slashed my CL again

wow, last time my card set idle I went and charged $10 worth of paper towels and they gave me a CLI of like $2400!!

I would just die if they cut my CL, hope not, I'm actually using it right now!

sorry for yours 

Message 2 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

* off to Home Depot, brb *
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
* off to Home Depot, brb *

Didn't do me any good, obviously!

Message 4 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

wow, last time my card set idle I went and charged $10 worth of paper towels and they gave me a CLI of like $2400!!

I would just die if they cut my CL, hope not, I'm actually using it right now!

sorry for yours 

I remember our exchange a couple months back. Maybe I was too slow to use my card.  Probably just coincidence though.

I wonder if HD/Citi did a soft pull review just before this CLD.  Must....pull....score.......

Message 5 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

In my mind this is another example of the fact that the days of unused large revolving CL's (>$10K) is over. In some cases the CL threshhold is even lower. Also, all issuers review unused CL's and adjust according to their current policies. In some cases that is the lowering of the CL and in others it is a summary closing without recourse.

In your case I would call and make a case. You can ask if they will restore your CL without an inquiry. You could also tell them that such a low CL in a home improvement store is pretty worthless. It's worth a try - you won't get what you don't ask for!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

In my mind this is another example of the fact that the days of unused large revolving CL's (>$10K) is over. In some cases the CL threshhold is even lower. Also, all issuers review unused CL's and adjust according to their current policies. In some cases that is the lowering of the CL and in others it is a summary closing without recourse.

In your case I would call and make a case. You can ask if they will restore your CL without an inquiry. You could also tell them that such a low CL in a home improvement store is pretty worthless. It's worth a try - you won't get what you don't ask for!

I don't have any cards over 10K, I've never wanted or needed them to be honest. These CLDs worry me though as I am $4K shy of paying all of my cards off. 

Message 7 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

So I called them today to ask for an explanation.  They gave me the idle-for-too-long explanation.  They said that they cut the line on April 7, and I didn't use the card until April 12.  I don't believe them, however, because I had been checking my account and as of last week the online info still said $15,000.

Message 8 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Lel!  Kudo's to you for making the call.  You deserved an explanation, no matter how lame.  I don't believe half of what the CRS's spew anymore.

Message 9 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, fish.  I don't know how much farther I want to carry this.  I might be able to argue for a restoration of my previous credit limit without another hard inquiry, but I don't think it's worth it.  Frankly, I don't shop at HD that often - there's a Lowe's and a OSH close by as well, which are both superior in terms of store customer service - and in all likelihood, even if I can get my line back, my card will just go idle again and they'll cut my CL again.

Sigh....B of A also canceled a $7500 card for inactivity a short while ago as well.  They gave it to me about 9 years ago for overdraft protection, and I never used it.  My fault.  Combined, I've recently lost $19,999 of credit!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.