cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home depot vs. lowes

tag
Jp2slow

Home depot vs. lowes

I've been a long time lurker and finally joined up . My question is to you guys is about HD vs. Lowes . 

I got approved today for home depot 3000 CL . This surprised me because just 3 months ago I was denied a lowes card . I even called lowes because I knew my credit is not horrible . My understanding is the home depot is harder to get then lowes , does this make any sense ? Don't get me wrong I'm happy as hell because I've been. Working on my credit for about 7 years after being young and dumb  . I'm just trying to learn what I can. So thanks in advance . 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Re: Home depot vs. lowes

Congrats on your HD approval and welcome to the forums!

I don't know which is more diffult to get approved for but it might depend on what's in your credit file. They may not have used the same credit bureau. More information regarding your inquires, utilization, etc (at time of denial) will be helpful. Also, what reason did they give for the denial?

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 2 of 16
Datx
Valued Contributor

Based on my experience. I dont have decent credit, but here goes. I got approved for a Lowes card about a year ago. Starting limit of $400. Didnt complained, since all the great success stories about GECRB and their CLIs. After a year of having the card, my highest limit was only $800. I couldnt get it to go any higher. A few months ago, I tried to apply for the Home Depot card, got approved for $500. I called and asked for a higher limit, and after another HP, they bumped me up to $1200. So for me, HD was better in my experience.

I plan to use the card and build a good history with Citi and hopefully someday qualify for one of their Visa cards.

Message 3 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Datx wrote:

Based on my experience. I dont have decent credit, but here goes. I got approved for a Lowes card about a year ago. Starting limit of $400. Didnt complained, since all the great success stories about GECRB and their CLIs. After a year of having the card, my highest limit was only $800. I couldnt get it to go any higher. A few months ago, I tried to apply for the Home Depot card, got approved for $500. I called and asked for a higher limit, and after another HP, they bumped me up to $1200. So for me, HD was better in my experience.

I plan to use the card and build a good history with Citi and hopefully someday qualify for one of their Visa cards.

We have seen approvals and denials all over the map between these 2.

I personally like Home Depot better but I have always been blacklisted because of a Citi MasterCard that I had in my bk.

I got Lowes at $500 in Dec. and they bumped me to $1000 at about 5 months at my request.

I would choose HD hands down if it didn't come to the credit product. and I still would probably lean towards HD if it was about the credit product.

Message 4 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

Lowes should be easier to get since it;s a GE card. I have both close to my house but prefer lowes since with the card, you get he 5% off.

But with my military ID, I get 10% at Lowes.

I would agree with you that HD is harder to get. I have personally never tried for one.

Message 5 of 16
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Home Depot was the first card I applied for after I closed on my mortgage.  I had received a mailer for it so I went in store and applied. I was instantly approved for $1500.  Then I remembered what everyone had said here so I called the number when I left the store and they increased it to $3000.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 16
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Lowes should be easier to get since it;s a GE card. I have both close to my house but prefer lowes since with the card, you get he 5% off.

I would agree with you that HD is harder to get. I have personally never tried for one.

5% off?  Tell me more....Is the Lowes card like when you use the Target card and get 5% off?

Message 7 of 16
Datx
Valued Contributor

@MsLadyRover wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

5% off?  Tell me more....Is the Lowes card like when you use the Target card and get 5% off?

Pretty much. Its 5% off everyday. Checkout the Lowe's website, it advertises 5% off on the main page. As long as you use your lowe's card for purchases of course. I heard with the HD card, you get promotional savings every now and then.

Message 8 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

If your purchase is over a certain amount you can qualify for promotional no interest financing as long as the balance is PIF before the promo expiration. That is for the Lowe's card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 16
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@Datx wrote:

@MsLadyRover wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Pretty much. Its 5% off everyday. Checkout the Lowe's website, it advertises 5% off on the main page. As long as you use your lowe's card for purchases of course. I heard with the HD card, you get promotional savings every now and then.

Every now and then is an understatement.  LOL!! I get emails or a mailer from them about every other week.  Just received an email today for some 0% financing up to 24 months.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.