Jp2slow

Home depot vs. lowes

I've been a long time lurker and finally joined up . My question is to you guys is about HD vs. Lowes . 

I got approved today for home depot 3000 CL . This surprised me because just 3 months ago I was denied a lowes card . I even called lowes because I knew my credit is not horrible . My understanding is the home depot is harder to get then lowes , does this make any sense ? Don't get me wrong I'm happy as hell because I've been. Working on my credit for about 7 years after being young and dumb  . I'm just trying to learn what I can. So thanks in advance . 

Regular Contributor
SpiceIslander

Re: Home depot vs. lowes

Congrats on your HD approval and welcome to the forums!

I don't know which is more diffult to get approved for but it might depend on what's in your credit file. They may not have used the same credit bureau. More information regarding your inquires, utilization, etc (at time of denial) will be helpful. Also, what reason did they give for the denial?

Meg.

FICO: 04/2014 - TU 765 | EQ ??? | EX 768

Barclays / Sallie Mae World MC 13000 | Lowes 10,000 | LOC 9300 | FNBO 8900 | Amex BCP 7200 | BOA Platinum+ 6000 | Amex SPG 5700 | Citi Simplicity 5200 | Chase CSP 5000 | Achieva CU 4000 | Discover 4000 | Sam's Club 3000 | Sears 900
Valued Contributor
Datx

Based on my experience. I dont have decent credit, but here goes. I got approved for a Lowes card about a year ago. Starting limit of $400. Didnt complained, since all the great success stories about GECRB and their CLIs. After a year of having the card, my highest limit was only $800. I couldnt get it to go any higher. A few months ago, I tried to apply for the Home Depot card, got approved for $500. I called and asked for a higher limit, and after another HP, they bumped me up to $1200. So for me, HD was better in my experience.

I plan to use the card and build a good history with Citi and hopefully someday qualify for one of their Visa cards.

TU: 603 – EQ: 569 – EX: N/A – May 2010

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Datx wrote:

Based on my experience. I dont have decent credit, but here goes. I got approved for a Lowes card about a year ago. Starting limit of $400. Didnt complained, since all the great success stories about GECRB and their CLIs. After a year of having the card, my highest limit was only $800. I couldnt get it to go any higher. A few months ago, I tried to apply for the Home Depot card, got approved for $500. I called and asked for a higher limit, and after another HP, they bumped me up to $1200. So for me, HD was better in my experience.

I plan to use the card and build a good history with Citi and hopefully someday qualify for one of their Visa cards.

We have seen approvals and denials all over the map between these 2.

I personally like Home Depot better but I have always been blacklisted because of a Citi MasterCard that I had in my bk.

I got Lowes at $500 in Dec. and they bumped me to $1000 at about 5 months at my request.

I would choose HD hands down if it didn't come to the credit product. and I still would probably lean towards HD if it was about the credit product.

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Super Contributor
CS800

Lowes should be easier to get since it;s a GE card. I have both close to my house but prefer lowes since with the card, you get he 5% off.

But with my military ID, I get 10% at Lowes.

I would agree with you that HD is harder to get. I have personally never tried for one.

Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

Home Depot was the first card I applied for after I closed on my mortgage.  I had received a mailer for it so I went in store and applied. I was instantly approved for $1500.  Then I remembered what everyone had said here so I called the number when I left the store and they increased it to $3000.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

CS800 wrote:

Lowes should be easier to get since it;s a GE card. I have both close to my house but prefer lowes since with the card, you get he 5% off.

I would agree with you that HD is harder to get. I have personally never tried for one.

5% off?  Tell me more....Is the Lowes card like when you use the Target card and get 5% off?

Valued Contributor
Datx

MsLadyRover wrote:

CS800 wrote:

5% off?  Tell me more....Is the Lowes card like when you use the Target card and get 5% off?

Pretty much. Its 5% off everyday. Checkout the Lowe's website, it advertises 5% off on the main page. As long as you use your lowe's card for purchases of course. I heard with the HD card, you get promotional savings every now and then.

TU: 603 – EQ: 569 – EX: N/A – May 2010

Mega Contributor
LS2982

If your purchase is over a certain amount you can qualify for promotional no interest financing as long as the balance is PIF before the promo expiration. That is for the Lowe's card.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
MsLadyRover

Datx wrote:

MsLadyRover wrote:

CS800 wrote:

Pretty much. Its 5% off everyday. Checkout the Lowe's website, it advertises 5% off on the main page. As long as you use your lowe's card for purchases of course. I heard with the HD card, you get promotional savings every now and then.

Every now and then is an understatement.  LOL!! I get emails or a mailer from them about every other week.  Just received an email today for some 0% financing up to 24 months.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}