Reply
Member
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎08-29-2012
0

Home depot vs. lowes

I've been a long time lurker and finally joined up . My question is to you guys is about HD vs. Lowes . 

 

I got approved today for home depot 3000 CL . This surprised me because just 3 months ago I was denied a lowes card . I even called lowes because I knew my credit is not horrible . My understanding is the home depot is harder to get then lowes , does this make any sense ? Don't get me wrong I'm happy as hell because I've been. Working on my credit for about 7 years after being young and dumb  . I'm just trying to learn what I can. So thanks in advance . 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 369
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes

Congrats on your HD approval and welcome to the forums!

 

I don't know which is more diffult to get approved for but it might depend on what's in your credit file. They may not have used the same credit bureau. More information regarding your inquires, utilization, etc (at time of denial) will be helpful. Also, what reason did they give for the denial?

Meg.

FICO: 03/2015 - TU 768 | EQ 783 | EX 775

FNBO 15,100 | Barclays / Sallie Mae World MC 13,000 | Lowes 10,000 | LOC 9,300 | Amex BCP 7,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Amex SPG 5,700 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Discover IT 5,500 | Citi Simplicity 5,200 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,051
Registered: ‎05-20-2010
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes

Based on my experience. I dont have decent credit, but here goes. I got approved for a Lowes card about a year ago. Starting limit of $400. Didnt complained, since all the great success stories about GECRB and their CLIs. After a year of having the card, my highest limit was only $800. I couldnt get it to go any higher. A few months ago, I tried to apply for the Home Depot card, got approved for $500. I called and asked for a higher limit, and after another HP, they bumped me up to $1200. So for me, HD was better in my experience.

I plan to use the card and build a good history with Citi and hopefully someday qualify for one of their Visa cards.

TU: 603 – EQ: 569 – EX: N/A – May 2010

Epic Contributor
Posts: 25,152
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes


Datx wrote:

Based on my experience. I dont have decent credit, but here goes. I got approved for a Lowes card about a year ago. Starting limit of $400. Didnt complained, since all the great success stories about GECRB and their CLIs. After a year of having the card, my highest limit was only $800. I couldnt get it to go any higher. A few months ago, I tried to apply for the Home Depot card, got approved for $500. I called and asked for a higher limit, and after another HP, they bumped me up to $1200. So for me, HD was better in my experience.

I plan to use the card and build a good history with Citi and hopefully someday qualify for one of their Visa cards.


We have seen approvals and denials all over the map between these 2.

I personally like Home Depot better but I have always been blacklisted because of a Citi MasterCard that I had in my bk.

I got Lowes at $500 in Dec. and they bumped me to $1000 at about 5 months at my request.

I would choose HD hands down if it didn't come to the credit product. and I still would probably lean towards HD if it was about the credit product.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Super Contributor
Posts: 6,667
Registered: ‎04-07-2008
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes

Lowes should be easier to get since it;s a GE card. I have both close to my house but prefer lowes since with the card, you get he 5% off.

 

But with my military ID, I get 10% at Lowes.

 

I would agree with you that HD is harder to get. I have personally never tried for one.




Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,829
Registered: ‎03-14-2012
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes

Home Depot was the first card I applied for after I closed on my mortgage.  I had received a mailer for it so I went in store and applied. I was instantly approved for $1500.  Then I remembered what everyone had said here so I called the number when I left the store and they increased it to $3000.



Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,829
Registered: ‎03-14-2012
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes


CS800 wrote:

Lowes should be easier to get since it;s a GE card. I have both close to my house but prefer lowes since with the card, you get he 5% off.

 

But with my military ID, I get 10% at Lowes.

 

I would agree with you that HD is harder to get. I have personally never tried for one.


5% off?  Tell me more....Is the Lowes card like when you use the Target card and get 5% off?



Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,051
Registered: ‎05-20-2010
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes


MsLadyRover wrote:

CS800 wrote:

Lowes should be easier to get since it;s a GE card. I have both close to my house but prefer lowes since with the card, you get he 5% off.

 

But with my military ID, I get 10% at Lowes.

 

I would agree with you that HD is harder to get. I have personally never tried for one.


5% off?  Tell me more....Is the Lowes card like when you use the Target card and get 5% off?


Pretty much. Its 5% off everyday. Checkout the Lowe's website, it advertises 5% off on the main page. As long as you use your lowe's card for purchases of course. I heard with the HD card, you get promotional savings every now and then.

TU: 603 – EQ: 569 – EX: N/A – May 2010

Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,442
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes

If your purchase is over a certain amount you can qualify for promotional no interest financing as long as the balance is PIF before the promo expiration. That is for the Lowe's card.



Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,829
Registered: ‎03-14-2012
0

Re: Home depot vs. lowes


Datx wrote:

MsLadyRover wrote:

CS800 wrote:

Lowes should be easier to get since it;s a GE card. I have both close to my house but prefer lowes since with the card, you get he 5% off.

 

But with my military ID, I get 10% at Lowes.

 

I would agree with you that HD is harder to get. I have personally never tried for one.


5% off?  Tell me more....Is the Lowes card like when you use the Target card and get 5% off?


Pretty much. Its 5% off everyday. Checkout the Lowe's website, it advertises 5% off on the main page. As long as you use your lowe's card for purchases of course. I heard with the HD card, you get promotional savings every now and then.


Every now and then is an understatement.  LOL!! I get emails or a mailer from them about every other week.  Just received an email today for some 0% financing up to 24 months.



Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.