Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hooters Denial ???

tag
JeffWeico
Valued Member

Hooters Denial ???

I decided, after being ribbed by a friend of mine, to apply for a Hooter's card.

I was denied automatically.

They pulled my TU credit report. My current FICO score on TU is 700. I have no late payments, no collection accounts, no judgments, bankruptcies, etc.

I do have a relatively short credit history, my accounts have mostly been opened for less than 1 year (roughly 9 months). I have an income of $83,900 and less than $600 of outstanding balances out of $11,200 available credit.

Is it possible they have tightened their standards? I have seen where people were approved for this card with credit scores in the 550-650 range, and bad credit.

I just wanted this for the rewards progtram, so no biggie, but the denial is annoying.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Jeff
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Hooters Denial ???

it has to be by far the weirdest credit card for approvals.
there use to be a post with like 3 different people with scores in the 700's getting cl of only 500, then a score of 580 comes in and gets 2500.
they seem to almost NOT want good credit with the card!
Message 2 of 15
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

Not real sure why they would deny you, but I would call them and ask for a recon.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They probably want to see TWO years of credit history. That would be my guess. I was denied a Getty Gas card (different lender)  with a high score, due to insufficient credit history and they specifically told me they require a two year history in order to qualify.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, they are weird... I have been saying that for over a month and nobody has been listening. I am 40 something, I have a great job, I make close to six figures, up until this year I used my Visa check card for every purchase and paid in cash. I have always wanted a BMW, I figured now is as good a time as any. I want to drive fast while I am still young enough to feel fear. I got the car, but because my credit was non-existant so I am paying a very high 25 percent on the loan. The dealer said I need at least three to five credit cards... I began to apply

Long story short, Hooters denied me, but they gave a $2500 limit credit card to my 19 year old nephew, who (like me) had no previous credit, and works a part time job.

Once again WTF?

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
They probably want to see TWO years of credit history.

Nope, that is not the case, see my post. This is my nephews first card. In fact it is his first credit of any kind. His approval and the messages by some people on this board is why I applied to Hooters in the first place. I was misled.... either that or Hooters hates Californians and loves the South. (Where my nephew lives)  

Message 6 of 15
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

I can understand it. You didn't need them, so you are not there. I am convinced that most of these card issuers with the wierd approval practices do not want cardholders with credit that is too good. You will be a little more pliable if you are in need. All the better to be RJ'ed!
Message 7 of 15
My2cents
Regular Contributor

It could be that they are seeking customers that they can grow with and that also have potential. Your 700ish score may be out of their league.  Note that financial institutions cater to a certain customer and you may not be the customer that they want.  Orchard is worse.  They will accept you and give you a 500.00 card and charge you for a 100 dollar increase even when you have a 700 plus scoreSmiley Sad

Note:  A builder cant build you if you are already builtSmiley Wink

My2centsSmiley Wink

700 Club Member
Message 8 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

a 700 plus score apping for orchard:  not a good move

@My2cents wrote:

They will accept you and give you a 500.00 card and charge you for a 100 dollar increase even when you have a 700 plus scoreSmiley Sad

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 15
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@score_building wrote:
a 700 plus score apping for orchard:  not a good move

@My2cents wrote:

They will accept you and give you a 500.00 card and charge you for a 100 dollar increase even when you have a 700 plus scoreSmiley Sad

The premise is incorrect. The terms are not the same on all Orchard cards. They actually do issue some non-subprime cards. But they are HSBC, one of the companies with the strange approval practices.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.