Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hooters - Merrick Bank - Denial

tag
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Hooters - Merrick Bank - Denial

My friend (co-worker) recently applied for a Hooters card (3 weeks ago) and got the 10-14 days processing message. His current scores are in the 690's so I figured he would be a "shoe in" as I got approved without much of a problem.

He waited a week after submitting the application and then called to check the status, the CSR told him it was still pending. He waited the weekend and called again checking the status and was told, still pending. He waiting till last Friday and was told, still pending. Fast forward to today, he recieved a letter stating his application was DENIED and to call for further information.

He called the number on the letter and the CSR reviewied the application and told him he was denied due to a fraud alert he had on his report, and that they tried to call him at the numbers provided and were unseucessful. He verified the information with the rep to make sure it was correct, which it was, and advised her he never got any such calls or voicemails. He then asked her to review the application and that she could call him at the numbers listed for verificatio or he could submit proof of identity if required.

She said it was denied and they could not assist and further. He was told to submit another application and that it would result in another hard pull. When he requested her to remove the inq so he could re-app she said no. They would not.

This does not seem right to me. They are claiming that once its denied. Thats the end of the road. Does anyone have a backdoor number or some contact there he can speak with. I have never heard of such nonsense. They never sent him mail saying they could not validate his application, he got no phone calls, and no voicemails. I know there has to be some way to make them do a manual review and recon, jsut not sure how.

As for now, I told him to write a very detailed letter and provide proof of identity and send to them; while also filing with the BBB as well.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hooters - Merrick Bank - Denial

I applied for the Hooters card on Apr 2nd and got the denial letter on 24th. The letter didnt state any reason for denial, and had an 800 number. I taked to the CSR but he just wouldnt let me know the reason for denial, he said it was very very confidential and that they will send me another letter with the reason for denial on it. I dont really understand why I got denied; i have like five CCs all in good standing and no balance, but still...:-(

I do smell something fishy because I really dont know anyone that got accepted for this card eversince they restarted taking application on Apr 2nd.

Message 2 of 18
jeffery581
Established Contributor

They didn't like me either. TU635

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 3 of 18
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

If you dont mind me asking, what are your TU FICO scores?

800+ Club
Message 4 of 18
mross1080
Established Contributor

My wife just applied last night and called this morning and the CSR told her she was approved and would be recieving her card in 7-10 days didnt state the limit though. and her score is around a 620 with kind of high util. Ill let you guys know what the limit is when she  gets it.

Message 5 of 18
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Hi, While I have no experience with Hooters/Merrick, I was denied credit b/c I didn't have my phone number included in my  FA. I'm not talking about a phone number on a credit report, I mean tell your friend to have his phone number added to the FA portion of his credit report. Easily done by calling the CRA.  I wonder if his number was missing from the FA portion.

Then I'd call them back and talk to rep number 2.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 18
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

He has two numbers listed in his FA, and the rep verified them with him.

800+ Club
Message 7 of 18
mross1080
Established Contributor

Hey everyone so she got the card in the mail today and got a 1k limit which is her highest limit and she only applied sun night seems pretty fast to get the card.

Message 8 of 18
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I helped him write a letter today listen his dissatisfaction with their application process, customer service, and requesting a manual review by a manager. His scores have also increased since the date of the inq so he included his most recent credit report in the correspondence as well. I also told him to file a complaint with the BBB but he is going to wait and see what response he gets before escalating. 

To summarize why he is upset. They completed a hard inq, and made no visible attempt to contact him. However, they claimed they did. He asked for dates, and times, and numbers they called and they said the system doesnt track such items. \

I have to agree, thats total BS. If I was him, I would have already contacted my states AG and the BBB as well.

800+ Club
Message 9 of 18
Uniqua
Established Contributor

I don't think he's gonna get far with his complaint.  He applied and was denied because he had a fraud alert on his CR.  The only option is for him to remove it then re-apply.  What if his identity had been stolen and Cap1 opened a new TL in his name with the fraud alert on his report?  He would be highly upset because they ignored the fraud alert, correct? I see that as a good thing.  They are not obligated to remove the hard inquiry because he did, in fact, apply for credit.  It's the same principle as him being denied for derogs on his CR.  They are not going to turn around and remove the inquiry simply because he was denied.  They had his permission to pull his credit file.  He'd save himself a lot of headache if he simply removed the alert and reapplied!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.