Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hooters approved

tag
Datx
Valued Contributor

Hooters approved

I went out to grab some dinner and on my drive home, I get a call. I look at the caller ID on my cell phone and I see a 801 number. I thought immediately of Merrick Bank (Hooters) but thought it was kinda odd that I was getting the call at 7pm in the evening. Anyways, picked it up and it was our good ole friend...Julio! He asked if I had some time to answer a few security questions, and I told him I sure did. At this point he put me on hold, and I quickly found a parking lot to park in so I can talk to him...cause who knows, I may get an accident from all the excitement, lol. Anyways, after about 3 security questions, and a couple of holds later...I'm approved! 

I was afraid to ask for the credit limit, and thought a couple of times to ask him, but I decided to just wait for it in the mail. Maybe I will get a nice surprise when I open up that nice little envelope with my new nice shiny card. This will be my last CC app for a long while. The best CC in my wallet is my new $5,000 NFCU nRewards card that I was just also recently approved for. Hooters does not like new accounts to be opened anyways, so im done. Time to let my new credit cards grow and continue to fight off the remaining baddies. I really appreciate all the help and info I got from this board. Thank you! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mross1080
Established Contributor

Re: Hooters approved

Congrats!

Message 2 of 8
john398
Senior Contributor

When you say hooters doesn't like new accounts, do they do financial reviews often?

Message 3 of 8
mross1080
Established Contributor

They soft almost monthly and ive read they review accounts every 6 months and will close if they see to many new account I think I read it was around 3.

Message 4 of 8
Datx
Valued Contributor

@mross1080 wrote:

Congrats!

mross - Thanks!

John - From what I read, they do periodic softs and they don't like too many new accounts after you get approved for their card. From what I can remember, there has been some threads on Merrick slashing credit limits, adding fees or even just closing accounts because of too many new CCs being opened. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Hooters to ask them to drop my interest rate. The lady on the phone was quite defensive and shut me down quick. I'm at $2400 and I think 26%. Zero balance and less a tank of gas per month, it will stay at a zero balance.

I am happy for you. Hooters was the first card with any appreciable CL for me and was the major contributor to my credit rebuild but Barclays and a leap to Credit Unions have produced much better credit cards sense.

Message 6 of 8
Datx
Valued Contributor

I read some pros and cons on the card and overall I think its a great rebuilding card. I would have appreciate being approved for the Hooters card even more, if I gotten the card before my NFCU credit card. My highest limit before applying for these cards is a Cap One for $500 and Walmart for $600. Once I got approved for my NFCU credit card at $5,000 I thought to myself that I was done with applying. But I applied for the Hooters card about the same time as my NFCU card. Now that I got approved, I might as well just keep it open and use it for a gas card or small online purchases and PIF each month. Im sure my interest rate will be fairly high as well. I'll update with details once I get the card in. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a $4000 NFCU credit card. Nevada Federal Credit Union that is.......LOL

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.