Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Barclays experience

tag
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: Horrible Barclays experience

The way it works with every bank I deal with, you make your payment by due date before some time cut-off. It can take up to 14 days to process, however the payment is recorded as paid on-time and no AA is taken. Some even note that it may not reflect and your available credit won't increase instantly.

Chang, those public record questions can be tricky. I once failed and had a nightmare on my hands to restore my account.

Message 11 of 27
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

To follow up my original post, the payment I made was listed under my "pending transactions" in my checking account over the weekend, but not officially posted.  Also, Barclays did charge me a $20 late fee as well.  So far, it does not look like the bumped my APR up to the delinquency rate, though.  My CL is $1200 and my current balance is just short of $600.

The sad thing is that I could have handled the late fee.  I typically know better than to make payments so close to the due date in case there is processing time.   I might have even been okay with them freezing the card if the payment was "technically" late.  The biggest thing that irritated me was that they would not unfreeze the card even after I called to talk to them and they admitted that they could see the pending payment in their system.  Most CSR's typically work with their customers a little bit when you actually call and talk to them--especially for a first-offense.  Apparently that is not the case with Barclays, though.

It worked out okay in the end.  I ended up using my check card for the room and we still had a good weekend.  I didn't want to use my check card for a hotel since they sometimes freeze a lot of extra funds that take a long time to release later, but this particular hotel only added a $25 hold on top of the room rate, so it was okay.

Message 12 of 27
john398
Senior Contributor

Glad everything turn out well, I noticed theres still a hold on my payment I made on 2/1 with Barclays, I dont really need to use the card but I hope they make it available soon

Message 13 of 27
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@valley_man0505 wrote:

To follow up my original post, the payment I made was listed under my "pending transactions" in my checking account over the weekend, but not officially posted.  Also, Barclays did charge me a $20 late fee as well.  So far, it does not look like the bumped my APR up to the delinquency rate, though.  My CL is $1200 and my current balance is just short of $600.

This is why I stopped using my bank's bill pay to pay credit card bills - it takes too long for them to post when I do.  I always pay my bill while logged into my CC account.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 14 of 27
john398
Senior Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

@valley_man0505 wrote:

This is why I stopped using my bank's bill pay to pay credit card bills - it takes too long for them to post when I do.  I always pay my bill while logged into my CC account.

+1 I use Barclays bill pay feature however they are holding it, which is alright I suppose

Message 15 of 27
athar

That is that bank for you, Try Captial One or AMEX or Bank of America. All three are very good banks. I had a payment that posted but no credit for me to spend I called and the releaced it for me and have done this three or four times, always said yes. The bank is Capital One!!

I absolutely agree. These are only three cards I carry now. I closed Barclays, Chase, Citi - because of their change of terms and other issues since 2008. I agree that closing a car can have disadvantages, but I have four store cards to keep my active 7 cards/TLs.

Message 16 of 27
athar

I submitted a payment to AMEX a minute ago - and, my credit line reflects 100% instantly.

Now, that is called Service, Class and customer experience.

Message 17 of 27
nomoore
Contributor

Just wondering, have you ever had a payment with insufficient funds with them before? Is this a new bank account you are paying with that you haven't used with them before? If not then that is a seriously messed up experience. So basically you pay before the due date and without a just cause they decide they can't trust the payment to go through for $11?

That's like going to a dept store and buying a t-shirt on sale with a check for $11. The cashier knows you and knows that you pay with checks all the time. But since they can't verify the funds they make you wait until the check clears to give you the shirt. Then they charge you the full price instead of the sale price (the late fee) because the sale is over when the check clears. On top of that they keep your whole checkbook while waiting for the check to clear. Insane! 

Open Credit Cards:   Target Visa/5900CL    |    AMEX BCP/6000CL
Latest Credit Scores:   780 TU (2011-08-01)
Credit Score History:   708 EQ (2011-07-01)    |    682 TU (2011-06-30)    |    693 EQ (2010-05-21)
Message 18 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

So did they actually close your account?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 27
john398
Senior Contributor

OP can you clarify did you pay from your banks bill pay or from your barclays bill pay?

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.