Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotel Double Charge - AMEX

tag
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hotel Double Charge - AMEX

The bottomline question is whether the OP read the terms of the hotel and/or room policy when he booked the reservation.  Whether or not the agent read the cancellation policy to him upon his call to cancel or whether or not he cancelled because he received a lower rate shortly after booking and decided to cancel based upon that. All of those facts are irrelevant.  It's was to the OP, as the consumer, to read and understand the terms of everything he purchases.  Just as he reads his credit card statement, telephone bill or any other contractual obligation.  It doesn't matter if the hotel hadn't charged him before he turned around and re-booked another reservation and then cancelled the first.  He had already authorized the first reservation and was bound to the terms of the reservation.  I know we want to feel sorry for him, but the bottom-line, if that IS the case, is what the cancellation policy is.  Any representative will gladly cancel a reservation.  I've never heard of a non-cancellable reservation but non-refundable reservations are pretty much a practice.  Anyone can easily cancel any reservation but whether or not, according to the cancellation guidelines, they get their money refunded back is what the policy defines. If business simply refunded everyone their money simply because they cancelled they'd be out of business.  That's why these policies are in place in the first place.  I do hope the OP is able to get his money back, if he was clearly in-line with the hotel's cancellation policy, but I firmly believe if he wasn't...then he hasn't a leg to stand on.  If, in that instance, AmEx does side with him and refund him the money, it doesn't necessarily mean he was right, it's just that AmEx, as a multi-billion dollar establishment has extended the OP courtesy.  Another reason why one should always read the fine print.

Message 31 of 48
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@jasimae wrote:

The bottomline question is whether the OP read the terms of the hotel and/or room policy when he booked the reservation.  Whether or not the agent read the cancellation policy to him upon his call to cancel or whether or not he cancelled because he received a lower rate shortly after booking and decided to cancel based upon that. All of those facts are irrelevant.  It's was to the OP, as the consumer, to read and understand the terms of everything he purchases.  Just as he reads his credit card statement, telephone bill or any other contractual obligation.  It doesn't matter if the hotel hadn't charged him before he turned around and re-booked another reservation and then cancelled the first.  He had already authorized the first reservation and was bound to the terms of the reservation.  I know we want to feel sorry for him, but the bottom-line, if that IS the case, is what the cancellation policy is.  Any representative will gladly cancel a reservation.  I've never heard of a non-cancellable reservation but non-refundable reservations are pretty much a practice.  Anyone can easily cancel any reservation but whether or not, according to the cancellation guidelines, they get their money refunded back is what the policy defines. If business simply refunded everyone their money simply because they cancelled they'd be out of business.  That's why these policies are in place in the first place.  I do hope the OP is able to get his money back, if he was clearly in-line with the hotel's cancellation policy, but I firmly believe if he wasn't...then he hasn't a leg to stand on.  If, in that instance, AmEx does side with him and refund him the money, it doesn't necessarily mean he was right, it's just that AmEx, as a multi-billion dollar establishment has extended the OP courtesy.  Another reason why one should always read the fine print.

yes but he stayed the same nights and got billed twice for the same room,, now that's just highway robberySmiley Surprised

Message 32 of 48
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Clearly OP made the same booking, but the hotel's cancellation policy, which OP either read or didn't read, takes precedence. However, from a legal standpoint, and that's really all that matters, whatever the cancellation policy states prevails.  The secondary issue, which is where this issue is at now, is whether the hotel or AmEx will extend OP the courtesy of reversing the charges of the first booking given that OP did still patronize the establishment.  Business is business.

Message 33 of 48
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@jasimae wrote:

What you're saying is technically correct, but it's a stupid way to do business.  People make mistakes.  Hotels are in the hospitality business.  If you think the customer made an honest mistake and isn't trying to game for a better rate, you should credit it back.  It's $500.  Over $500, I don't know that I'd say that I would never stay at Hilton again.  I'd probably get over it after a while, especially if it meant inconveniencing myself by having to stay at a property that was further away from a meeting or was substantially more expensive.  But there are lots of other options out there.  And I can guarantee I wouldn't stay with them the next several trips, and probably would choose another hotel every time there was a similarly priced and convenient option for quite a long time.  So Hilton can stand on it's policy, keep the $500, and start losing money on me pretty much immediately if they want to.  Doesn't take too many trips before they're out money because they wanted to keep that $500. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 48
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

So i booked a room at the Hilton in Anaheim from the 26th to the 30th of december through hilton.com and then saw AMEX was having a 30% off deal and i could get it for quite a bit cheaper so i called to see if i could cancel that reservation and rebook it through AMEX.

The lady i was transferred to said "Sure no problem, lemme cancel it for you, blah blah." Couple minutes later, its all done and i recieved a cancellation confirmation email and everything. Also, on my hilton.com account there is no record of the booking either, only the stay booked through AMEX. I then booked through AMEX for $368 instead of the original $527 which was a pretty great savings and i was super happy.

I then get home and all is well, and just yesterday i get a charge from Hilton on my AMEX card for $522? I called and some lady told me the room was non-refundable and theres nothing she can can do. WHAT?!?!??!! 

As as side note, the original hotel reservation was for a differnt price than what is charged on my card to boot!

Charged = $522 / Reservation = $527 How does that work?

So ive kept calling and getting transferred around and all i get is answering machines or the same people...Ive left messages but no responses. The lady I talked to in billing dept. was just locked in to the "You booked it, you gotta pay it. Its non refundable. I dont know what I can do for you, i have no way of doing anything."

My argument was, "Why on earth would I make a second booking if I wasnt ASSURED (with an email confirmation also) that the first booking was cancelled, no problem?!?! Why didnt the lady i originally spoke with, who cancelled the reservation for me, mention that it wasnt cancellable or just refuse to cancel it if its so IRON-CLAD NON-CANCELLABLE?" 

Anyway, I started a dispute on the transaction on AMEX.com because I cant get any help from Hilton and I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with soemthing like this and if you had any tips on how to go about doing the dispute and how it all works through AMEX?

OP should have invoked Hilton's best rate guarantee on the original reservation:

http://hiltonworldwide.hilton.com/en/ww/ourbestrates/overview.jhtml

Message 35 of 48
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Nice link...

Is the AmEx site public though?
Message 36 of 48
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
Nice link...

Is the AmEx site public though?

Looks "public" to me:

https://axptravel.americanexpress.com/consumertravel/travel.do?cmpid=ps-ctn-sm000279

Message 37 of 48
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

So an apology from Hilton + $50 are in order?
Message 38 of 48
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Haha.  Egg on my face.  The T&C refer to rooms as cancelable or non-cancelable, it doesn't use the terminology of refundable or non-refundable.  There are a lot of T&C such that I'm not sure this would apply for OP, e.g., have to notify them within 24 hours and other things I didn't read.  But I thought it interesting that they refer to rooms as non-cancelable.  This breathes a little life back into the argument that if OP has a cancelation confirmation, couldn't have been a non-cancelable room (although I still don't think this is a winner, but some lawyer needs to rethink these T&C's).

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 48
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Walt_K wrote:  If you think the customer made an honest mistake and isn't trying to game for a better rate, you should credit it back. 

Interesting thread!

I can't help but notice that OP was attempting to game for a better rate, and he got it, too!  Unfortunately, OP was still committed to pay for the first booking, and he just didn't understand the rules of the game.

Sorry.  I mean no offense to anyone, but it is what it is.

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.