Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotel Reward Card Decision...

tag
ednajen
New Contributor

Hotel Reward Card Decision...

I'm really looking to app for a hotel card within the next couple of weeks.  Assuming my credit score is good enough which of the following cards would you consider for the rewards?

Amex HHonors
I personally was set on this card up until I realized other cards offered annual free night stays.  I know there is a 40 or 50k sign up bonus which is good for one stay at a pretty nice hotel or multple stays at lower tier hotels.  I personally like the better hotels but this is still a good deal with no af.  Also the earning structure is the best I've seen.  However, I'm not sure I would earn more than 50k a year on the rewards.

Hyatt Chase Visa
Their sign up bonus is the best.  Two free nights anywhere in the world is very tempting to me as that's potentially hundreds of dollars in savings depending where you stay. Then of course you have the annual free night In a Cat 1 - 4 hotel.  Some of their Cat 4 hotels include Grand and Park Hyatts which is also a plus. Their earning structure is the lowest I've seen but their points redemption Is also pretty low.  If I wanted to stay 2 free nights a year in a category 4 hotel it would cost me 15000 points. However this would mean I would have to put 10-12k through the card each year to qualify. And then of course there is the AF of $75

Priority Club
This is starting to seem like the best combination of the two cards above in the long run.  There is a 60k sign up bonus which is good for multiple low tier level stays or just short of two top tier level stays. According the fine print, I could be wrong, but you get an annual free night at any priority club hotel.  The earning structure isn't good but is better than Hyatt's with the gas and groceries addition on the 2 points rewards.  However I highly doubt I would run the amount of money needed to earn 50k to stay in a nice hotel like the intercontinental, which is where I usually stay in NY.  The af is $49 and is waived for the first year.

I'm just looking for another perspective. I frequently stay in NY at the intercontinental ( 2 or 3 times a Year). However, I could care less which brand hotel I stay in as long as its nice and I'm maximizing rewards. Is Hilton's point structure enough to beat free stays in other hotels? Is there another card that I'm overlooking? Which card do you think is best for me?  

Thanks in advance!

Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pkosheta
Contributor

Re: Hotel Reward Card Decision...

If you spend 10k a year go Hilton reserve.  I know it has an annual fee BUT if you spend 10k u get a free night, plus 10k spend  is enough points for a second night at a lot of Hilton's.  the best perk though is Hilton GOLD.  Free Internet ( should be standard in this day in age) AND free breakfast and executive lounge.  The last 2 are really really nice to have if you are someone who is on the road enough to want nice perks but not enough to get the hotels to cough up the good perks..I've stayed at more than a few Hilton garden inns and I would have sadly, but willingly paid their 13 bucks or so for that breakfast if work didn't pick up the tab.  It is wonderful, the fresh fruit, the omelette bar, and strangely their coffee is always perfect.  I can't praise it enough over the standard free breakfast u get in a lot of places  . if travel 20-40 nights a year I think Hilton wins With this card.  Plus international Hilton lounges are pretty good from what I'm told.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 2 of 5
Open123
Super Contributor

Have you considered the Citi Hilton Reserve? with 2 free nights?

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/hilton-hhonors-reserve-card/

Message 3 of 5
iloverewards
Valued Member

Have you considered the Amex Starwood Preferred?

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 4 of 5
ednajen
New Contributor

@pkosheta thanks! I did look at this card but the annual fee seems to be more than the Hyatt and with the Hyatt you get plat status which also includes free Internet and late checkout. Not sure about free breakfast though! That is something to consider but that annual free night....

@open123 thanks! I like the 2 free nights deal ...will have to check the fine print. But you probably don't get the free night though?

@iloverewards I did briefly look it over, is the points structure that good to stay in top tier hotels almost twice a year?
Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.