Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotel cards...

tag
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: Hotel cards...

Both Marriott and Hilton have ample opportunities to amass a large amount of points via promotions to offset the lower value. When it comes to the credit cards, I exclusively hang onto my Marriott card for the free annual night, which generally allows me to realize $125+ in savings after the card's annual fee. Otherwise, I'm not too invested in the Marriott program. As for Hilton, I do have the Citi version (no AF). The AmEx version is better unless you are like me, who is at their AmEx revolver limit and needs those slots for AmEx's better products. This isn't an issue with Citi, as I currently find most of their products uninteresting except for the Double Cash. I am also a Hilton Diamond Elite member, so I do prefer them over most other hotel chains.

For me, most of my hotel cards are some of my most valuable credit cards, especially my IHG card. It's fairly easy to realize a value with them, especially if you would need to purchase a night anyway that is capable of being covered by the annual night certificate.

Message 11 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

The best hotel cards IMO are plat and prestige you are not stuck with one chain and great perks without redeeming points.

I know about the AF, but if you really travel the AFs are inconsequential..
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:
The best hotel cards IMO are plat and prestige you are not stuck with one chain and great perks without redeeming points.

I know about the AF, but if you really travel the AFs are inconsequential..

So true. I got approved for Prestige 10 days ago and I'm already looking at $400+ in statement credits (airfare and 4th night).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone have a preference and reasons for them?  I've looked closely at AMEX Hilton Honors vs. Marriott, and while Hilton seemingly offers better incentives for use of their card with 5% and 3% categories on regular spend, their redemptions don't seem to go that far.  Marriott's redemptions are pretty impressive at first glance.  Any insight on these two cards?  Thanks in advance!

In 2015 I paid $145 for a 70k Hilton property, and I think $202 for a 45k Marriott property (taxes included). I might go for a signup bonus, but I'm not rushing to make either an everyday card based on those kinds of redemptions. Mostly I stay at IHG properties, and earn points unconventionally, rather than through everyday spend on the Chase MC.

Be aware, though, that the Priority Pass Select on the Amex HHonors Surpass (the AF one) isn't as good as what's on the Amex Platinum...which, in turn, isn't as good as what Prestige offers.

Well duh? The AF on the AF Hilton Amex is $75 and the Amex plat and Citi Presitge is $450.....

I'm not commenting on annual fees vs. card value. I'm saying it can be confusing when three different cards all offer something called "Priority Pass Select", but all three have different lounge access fee schedules in the fine print.

While they all offer priority pass select, they offer different tiers of priority pass select. 

Priority pass select is the name of the program basically. and there are three levels

Standard ($99) - Access is $27 per person (including the member and any guests).

Standard Plus ($249) -- Members receive 10 free visits, after which they are charged $27 per person, per entry. Guest access is $27 per person.

Prestige ($399) -- Members receive unlimited free access to any Priority Pass lounge for the entire year. Guest access is $27 per person.

The amex platinum, and citi prestige card offer the prestige level of priority pass select, however, citi foots the bill for multiple guests. 

As far as hotel preferences go, my tip to you is this: 

If there is somewhere you travel to often, either to visit family, or go to theme parks, or just a place you like to visit, pick a chain that has the largest footprint in that area, 

If you just go wherever willy nilly, I would suggest reading up on the benefits of different hotel programs, and picking one that fits your needs. I 99% of the time use marriott, and I carry the marriott premier visa, as well as the ritz carlton credit card which gives me gold status with 10k spend annually. 

I have SPG and Hilton gold status as well through my amex platinum card, and hyatt platinum status. I'll only really stay at these brands if there is a large price difference, or if no marriott is available. 

Hilton's mid tier benefits, along with marriotts are among the strongest in the industry, including free breakfast and "potential" room upgrades, free enhanced wifi, and other perks that you may be able to squeeze out of a hotel, but aren't guaranteed. (Waived resort or parking fees)

Hyatt diamond status is a great level, but their footprint is very limited. 

Wyndham is an often overlooked program, and with their program having been revamped fairly recently, all hotels only cost 15k points, regardless of price. Some of their hotels are on the pretty low end, but some of the larger resorts can be wonderful. You just need to find one. They won't be in rural areas. 

IHG is also a great program, with decent earning potential, and the credit card offers a free night at ANY hotel, again, regardless of price. You just need to find availability. 

Edit: I'll add in, unafilliated premium travel cards can be EXTREMELY valuable as well if you don't want to stick to one chain. The citi prestige cards 4th night free benefit is the strongest in the industry, allowing a free night on all stays of 4+ nights, regardless of price. If your stays are usually shorter though, this may not be great. Citi prestige also offers special benefits at Ritz and Four Seasons hotels, though I'm not sure if this can be combined with the 4th night free benfit. 

Amex platinums FHR is also a strong program, but if you don't stay at high end luxury hotels it might not be for you. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.