Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household Bank APR question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Household Bank APR question

Thanks to all of you here, I have been able to rebuild my credit and obtain some pretty good new prime cards. However I'm wondering what to do with my Household Bank card. A few years ago, this was the only card anyone would give me, however at a whopping 23% APR. I have 5 years history with them, so I of course don't want to close it, and I don't really want to sockdrawer it either, I still use it occasionally.

How responsive or accommodating is Household towards lowering APR's to something a little more reasonable?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Household Bank APR question

I have a Household card, terrible cs , but has no AF I dont really know the interest rate as I PIF every two weeks, I say give it a shot, cant hurt.  If they dont just keep it for the history if there is no AF or MF just be sure to pay it off maybe every couple of weeks so as not to pay interest on it.  Tks Vicki
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try to negotiate a lower rate, and as the others have said if there is no AF don't close it- as I think you said it has about five yrs history right?  Dust if off 2x a year and buy some gum or a soda.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not had any luck getting mine lowered- so I PIF.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have 2 Orchard CCs (Orchard=Household).

Older one is around 23%. Newer one is around 12%, + 2% cashback. Guess which one I use.

Have called several times to get the 23% reduced, no joy. Only keeping it for util/history.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am on the phone with Household at this moment, they lowered my APR 1% from 14.49 to 13.49 still bites and will still pay off every two weeks. Am asking the rep if they do a hard pull for CLI he has no idea putting me on hold to find out.  Of course he says he has no idea.  Tks Vicki
Message 6 of 16
tknkrov
Contributor

I called to close mine because of the apr and they dropped it in half and offered to combine my household and orchard. I still have an AF but I have over 3 years history so with the lower apr I will probably keep it a while longer.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

AHHHHHH!!! I forgot about that annual fee as well. I heard a guy on the radio last week who was talking about high APR's and annual fees and said you should not have to "rent" money for ridiculously high fees. I might have to do what was mentioned in an earlier post and either get these fees reduced, or just buy something a few times a year.

Message Edited by stealth71 on 11-10-2007 10:29 AM
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

stealth71 wrote:
AHHHHHH!!! I forgot about that annual fee as well. I heard a guy on the radio last week who was talking about high APR's and annual fees and said you should not have to "rent" money for ridiculously high fees. I might have to do what was mentioned in an earlier post and either get these fees reduced, or just buy something a few times a year.

Message Edited by stealth71 on 11-10-2007 10:29 AM

If it has an AF and is not an old card w/ a long history then close it. Otherwise, if they won't lower the rate- sockdrawer it and dust of 2x a year.

Message Edited by netpanther on 11-10-2007 01:48 PM
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had my no AF card with them for almost 2 years and called last month to ask for a lower APR and they gave it to me right away. That is about the only good thing that I can say about them.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.