Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household Bank Hard Pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Household Bank Hard Pull

I just got an alert from Scorewatch for a hard pull from Household Bank. I have a BB Reward Zone MC that I have had since July '09. I have never used it. Paid the annual fee of $59 on time. Balance has been $0 ever since. I had a hard pull on 7/25/09 when I went through the approval process for this card, so this new hard pull really had me concerned because I haven't applied for any new credit with them or called for any type of CLI or ANYTHING!

So, I called Household Bank and asked them what was going on. Here is what a supervisor named Sherry, told me:

1) she verified there was a hard pull done on 11/11/09

2) she put me on hold and said she talked to someone in the account department that claims this hard pull was done because of a 'security risk'

3) she also said it is in the agreement of the BB MC that 'random hard pulls are part of the deal' and that removing it wasn't an option

Am I crazy? I have never heard of this being part of ANY CC aggrement. Hard pulls on a whim. Wow! Soft pulls, not a problem. Whats going on here?

Can anyone fill me in on the legality of this?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Household Bank Hard Pull

Hard pulls are legal but I think it's an A** move of a bank to do it if you are not requesting anything
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am seriously considering cancelling this card. I really dont like the idea of ANY CCC doing random hard pulls whenever they feel like it. If it is truly legal, good lord.....AMEX who has gotten a bad rap from doing random soft pulls isnt even in the same league as far as I am concerned when it comes to this type of behavior. Household Bank has just taken things to a whole new level. If any bank I do business with is random hard pulling me without my consent then this is major issue with me. I went on a CC app spree during the Summer and have been counting the days for my hard pulls to dissappear. Now I've got this to look forward to from Household? If I stay with them I am always going to wonder what they are doing with my CR.
Message 3 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I hear ya
Message 4 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

That's why its best to have a freeze on reports.  Some creditors hands get heavy making hard inquiries. 
Message Edited by DI on 11-13-2009 02:59 PM
Message 5 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

once you have credit with a bank, a frozen report does not block them
Message 6 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
once you have credit with a bank, a frozen report does not block them

It would ensure that they only be able to do a soft inquiry.  

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditaddict is correct. Here is an excerpt from the Experian freeze rules pertaining to this:

"Consumers in your state have a right to place a "security freeze" on their credit reports, which will prohibit a national consumer credit reporting company from releasing any information in their credit report without the consumer’s express authorization, except to those with whom the consumer has an existing account."

But even if it were a possibilty to put a freeze on my CR and it prevent Household from random hard pulling me, it's a sad day when someone would have to resort to these types of measures to prevent a bank with whom he/she has an account from doing what is in my opinion very unethical practice, such as this.

Message 8 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

Your situation is rare.  Creditors understand the damage that can be done by making hard inquries.  It could have been an error that they're not willing to admit.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I understand your trying to help, but, based on the logic that "Creditors understand the damage that can be done by making hard inquries," then Household should have no problem owning up any type of error they may have made.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.