Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household Bank at Activation CLI and annual fee

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Household Bank at Activation CLI and annual fee

so after news of the CLD from Bank of America, I advised my father to pick up some CL to replace it, he applied for Household which was a dreadful mistake but took the hit already so my as well make the best of it. $300 CL

After being transferred to an "account manager" she said there was nothing she could do about the $300 CL and the $59 annual fee and the conversation went like this:

"close the account please"

Household - Please hold, sir to keep you as a cardmember I can offer you $300 CLI now

"okay, how about the annual fee, I do not pay annual fees on any of my cards"

Sir that is to service your account and there is nothing I can do about that

"how about you split it, you pay half and I pay half"

Sorry sir but I can't

"close my account please I don't pay fees for such a small cl

sir please hold... okay I have gone ahead and issued you a credit for half the annual fee and increased your cl by $300.

"thank you, I will keep the card for now" 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Re: Household Bank at Activation CLI and annual fee

Great job!! I wish I would've thought about that when I got my card

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 2 of 7
keith021
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

so after news of the CLD from Bank of America, I advised my father to pick up some CL to replace it, he applied for Household which was a dreadful mistake but took the hit already so my as well make the best of it. $300 CL

After being transferred to an "account manager" she said there was nothing she could do about the $300 CL and the $59 annual fee and the conversation went like this:

"close the account please"

Household - Please hold, sir to keep you as a cardmember I can offer you $300 CLI now

"okay, how about the annual fee, I do not pay annual fees on any of my cards"

Sir that is to service your account and there is nothing I can do about that

"how about you split it, you pay half and I pay half"

Sorry sir but I can't

"close my account please I don't pay fees for such a small cl

sir please hold... okay I have gone ahead and issued you a credit for half the annual fee and increased your cl by $300.

"thank you, I will keep the card for now"

What a coincident that I applied for the same card today and I was approved! CL: $300 with the $59 annual fee. I only applied because I received an email today from Orchard Bank offering me a credit card. I applied online (I’m an addict and I’m trying to recover) and got an approval after answering some security questions over the phone due to the FA. I know an approval is better than a denial, but for some reason, I have a salty taste in my mouth; CL $300 and $59 annual. Not much of a perk, right?

Should I wait to receive the card before asking for a CLI and an annual fee deduction, or should I just cancel? I’m a sucker for applying for new credit. *sigh*

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yes you get the card, call in and the activation department will have to transfer you to account management, who then has to activate the card before they can do anything to you.  they always say don't threaten to close if your not willing for them to actually close it, but this is what i call a rebuilder card, and my father is in no means rebuilding anything. I had read a couple months ago about someone getting the exact deal I got so I knew she could do it, it was just a matter of how difficult she wanted to be.  I don't understand the point of the games, just do it already!
Message 4 of 7
keith021
Regular Contributor

I will keep that in mind. I will be calling the 1-800 number on the sticker, correct?

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

correct
Message 6 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

oh and i forgot to mention she initially put the request in on the computer and said credit "may" be pulled and came back and said it had been declined.  That was kind of a given to me since the computer is looking for account usage and the account had never been used before
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.