Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household Income Question

tag
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Household Income Question

I was wondering if it would be appropriate to add my roommate's income as part of my overall household income. we share in all the expenses (rent, cable, internet, gas, electric, food, etc). We rent a rather large two bedroom house together. Been living together for a few months now.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Re: Household Income Question

In my opinion, yes.  If they ask for household income they are asking for the household income.  Since your roommate is a part of your household, that counts.  If they ask for verification, just tell them the truth.  It's up to them how they use the information.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 2 of 23
RSCo
Established Contributor

@randeman wrote:

In my opinion, yes.  If they ask for household income they are asking for the household income.  Since your roommate is a part of your household, that counts.  If they ask for verification, just tell them the truth.  It's up to them how they use the information.

Agree.. There is a reason they want to know household income.. I'm in a M/M domestic partnership and I've included his when asked for household income and I've used only mine when they don't specifically ask for household income.. I also include all of my investments both retirement and non retirement when they make a point of asking for "income that could come from investments".  This is one of the issues that those in same gender relationships run into in defining the terms and repayment basis for debt..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 3 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I use hhi but many posters here believe that is "fraudulent" lol...

*waiting for certain posters to start blasting*
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 23
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I use hhi but many posters here believe that is "fraudulent" lol...

*waiting for certain posters to start blasting*

I believe in the past people were giving you a hard time because you were stating that you listed your Moms income as yours, I'm guessing you don't live at home anymore so that would be hard to justify as HHI?

I really don't think anyone except AMEX would ever ask you to verify income so you really don't have anything to worry about. Smiley Wink

OP:  What are you applying for that is asking for HHI?  Just curious as most of the CC apps I have ever seen (I haven't seen them all) Always ask for individual income. 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 23
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@RSCo wrote:

@randeman wrote:

Agree.. There is a reason they want to know household income.. I'm in a M/M domestic partnership and I've included his when asked for household income and I've used only mine when they don't specifically ask for household income.. I also include all of my investments both retirement and non retirement when they make a point of asking for "income that could come from investments".  This is one of the issues that those in same gender relationships run into in defining the terms and repayment basis for debt..

I am in the same situation, but I take a different approach.  I only report MY income on any account where my partner is not going to be subject to any financial commitment in repayment of any outstanding debts, regardless of whether they ask MY income or HHI.    Since all of my cards are in my name only and my partner is not an AU, I don't factor in his income.  If I were to do so, use total HHI, then logically, I could also include both my children who live at home with us, contribute to the bills for running a household, and my HHI would be double the $68K I've claimed on all my 2012 applications, based on 2011/12 tax figures. 

Which is right?  That's not for me to decide.  This is what is right for me and my financial rebuilding success.  The argument could also be made that one should include the value of all benefits that an employer may provide (in my case, a total of around $82K) but I cannot justify in my own mind doing that, since it is not cash readily available to pay the bills. 

Message 6 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

A few years ago, I was making over $110k a year. Now that I am 'retired' - basically a stay - at-home Mom, I rely on my DH's income to pay our bills. When we go out to dinner he would pick up the check; what difference should it make if the cc was issued to me?  As always it depends on the situation but I think if you file joint tax returns then what's mine is yours and vice versa. 

If they ask for income and do not specify individual- I'm putting down 'our' income. 

Message 7 of 23
anonyman
Established Member

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I was wondering if it would be appropriate to add my roommate's income as part of my overall household income. we share in all the expenses (rent, cable, internet, gas, electric, food, etc). We rent a rather large two bedroom house together. Been living together for a few months now.

LOL,

Heheheheheeh,

Sorry, I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this.

What they're asking for IMO is your family's household income. Combination of spouse, children, something in those lines.

But technically, I would agree with the person who said yes.

Message 8 of 23
HiLine
Blogger

My approach is to take the questions on the application literally. If they ask for household income, then I add the income of everyone in the household, roommate, mom and whatnot. There is nothing on the application, including the fine print, that says I'll have to provide supporting documents for other household members.

When they ask for my income, then I put my income.

That is the only way to guarantee I don't violate any rules.

Message 9 of 23
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@anonyman wrote:

@NJTurnpike wrote:

LOL,

Heheheheheeh,

Sorry, I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this.

What they're asking for IMO is your family's household income. Combination of spouse, children, something in those lines.

But technically, I would agree with the person who said yes.

The worst is when you have idiot adult kids who put their parents income down, even though it's not theirs nor do they have access too it.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.