Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household Income

tag
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Household Income

The federal government tabluates household income as income from single couples in single households and income from married couples in married households.  Why is it that credit card apps do not do the same. I've gotten mixed advice from CSR when calling to apply for credit over the phone; some have stated that spouse's income counts in stating your household income, but others say that it is only personal income (and household counts as any alimony, etc that is received personally, NOT spouse's income).  For those getting FR from Amex, any idea which way Amex goes (spouse's income counts or does not count in HHI)?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Household Income

i'm no expert, but if it asks annual income or household income i put total. if it asks for annual salary i use mine if it's a stand alone app.

in the case of amex i would say to be fair, any income on your tax returns should count. if they can request the info seems like it's your's to claim?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In all the pre-apps I've received and went for, they ask for HHI. I put total combined household income. In fact, I don't remember seeing one that called for personal income.
Message 3 of 10
Niki9
Regular Contributor

If it asks for household income ...
I put the income for my household

I give whatever they ask for (ie. Salary is my salary)

Message 4 of 10
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

On my BofA CLI requests (can't remember on original apps), it asks for my salary. There is another blank for "other income" which includes alimony, child support, etc. Then there is a blank for "household income" - I add my husband's income into that...
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, what tonsers said. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I third that.

When I applied for Kay Jewelers, I noticed the online app said "Household Income," so that's what I put.  Apparently there was a technical glitch when I submitted my app, and it didn't go through, so I called to see if they had an app pending for me and find out whether I should reapply or if they actually got it.  Turned out they didn't get it, but the rep convinced me to just apply over the phone with her.  When we got to the same question, she asked me my salary, not household income.  Remembering what the online app said, I asked her, "Are you asking for my household income?" to which she replied, "No, just your salary."

Bottom line, approved for $1500, but I'm sure I could have gotten more if I had been able to use HHI instead.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar you did the right thing. Honesty is the best policy....always. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 10
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

So, if my fiance and I live together and split all bills, is her salary considered part of my "household" income?  Or do we have to be married?  Or, do I just tack hers on there and only worry about it if there is a FR (and then play dumb)?
Message 9 of 10
cobra19
Valued Contributor

So, if my fiance and I live together and split all bills, is her salary considered part of my "household" income

Yes.

No, you don't have to be married. Unless, it specifically says spouse's income.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.