Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household income to be allowed on CC apps

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Household income to be allowed on CC apps

@Revelate wrote:

@Walt: telling a bank they need to consider HHI for applicants is worlds different than telling them who they have to approve.

It's just one bit of information in a much more comprehensive underwriting process.  

In reality it's not going to change much of anything at all; except making it feasible for non-wage earners in single income families (and similar) to get over the "being reasonably able to pay it back." hurdle that the government placed on them earlier.

Sometimes legislation and regulation have unintended consequences, and this was likely one of them.  Hence, they're making a comparitively minor redress of the issue.  Also there is precedent for this, the whole FICO '08 AU fiasco was nearly identical both in demographic and result.

I agree there's much more important things to figure out, but in the grand scheme of all the things which get thrown into our bureaucracy, this one is likely one of the better social good things to happen.

I think you misunderstand me.  I object to the prior regulation that told them they can't consider HHI, which in effect limited people they could approve because it meant that they had to treat some people as effectively having no income.  I'm in favor of letting banks consider HHI if they so choose.  I was only pointing out a difference in focus.  While I approve of the result, i.e., that stay at home spouses get more access to credit, that isn't really my primary concern.  I mainly think that it is an unfair on lenders to restrict the criteria they can reasonably consider.  I think we're both arguing for the same thing, but for different reasons.

And I understand that this is only one small part of the approval process.  Which is why I pointed out earlier that people who are so adamantly against using HHI are not considering how widespread the supposed abuses will be, and are failing to consider other controls that are already in place, i.e., pulling the person's credit report, continuing to monitor the account, etc.  Lenders aren't making a decision in a vacuum with HHI as their only piece of information. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 71 of 79
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Walt: telling a bank they need to consider HHI for applicants is worlds different than telling them who they have to approve.

It's just one bit of information in a much more comprehensive underwriting process.  

In reality it's not going to change much of anything at all; except making it feasible for non-wage earners in single income families (and similar) to get over the "being reasonably able to pay it back." hurdle that the government placed on them earlier.

Sometimes legislation and regulation have unintended consequences, and this was likely one of them.  Hence, they're making a comparitively minor redress of the issue.  Also there is precedent for this, the whole FICO '08 AU fiasco was nearly identical both in demographic and result.

I agree there's much more important things to figure out, but in the grand scheme of all the things which get thrown into our bureaucracy, this one is likely one of the better social good things to happen.

I think you misunderstand me.  I object to the prior regulation that told them they can't consider HHI, which in effect limited people they could approve because it meant that they had to treat some people as effectively having no income.  I'm in favor of letting banks consider HHI if they so choose.  I was only pointing out a difference in focus.  While I approve of the result, i.e., that stay at home spouses get more access to credit, that isn't really my primary concern.  I mainly think that it is an unfair on lenders to restrict the criteria they can reasonably consider.  I think we're both arguing for the same thing, but for different reasons.

And I understand that this is only one small part of the approval process.  Which is why I pointed out earlier that people who are so adamantly against using HHI are not considering how widespread the supposed abuses will be, and are failing to consider other controls that are already in place, i.e., pulling the person's credit report, continuing to monitor the account, etc.  Lenders aren't making a decision in a vacuum with HHI as their only piece of information. 

This point is very significant and, I think, a reason why lenders wished to relax the "individual income" requirement. People were used to household income and often used that anyway and that doesn't include people that just inflated their incomes. By adversely affecting people that actually read the apps and honestly apply they could be losing some of their best potential customers. They don't give a lot of weight to "income" anyway since they can't easily directly verify it.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 72 of 79
lanc
Regular Contributor

I always report HHI on credit apps and when I got a cc from Alliant the rep asked for my pay stubs.  I said OK I'll be sending mine and my wifes Smiley Happy.  They didn't mind...

Message 73 of 79
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

@lanc wrote:

I always report HHI on credit apps and when I got a cc from Alliant the rep asked for my pay stubs.  I said OK I'll be sending mine and my wifes Smiley Happy.  They didn't mind...

Exactly how it should be! It was easy and painless, right? People usually think  the concept of asking for a paystub is an inconvenience and unnecessary.. It’s easy to do and verifies income.. simple!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 74 of 79
lanc
Regular Contributor

Especially in the digital age.  Our paystubs are already electronic so all I had to do was send the loan officer 2 attachments and as a bonus I have email contact info directly to someone who can help me with future loans.

Message 75 of 79
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

I think this is a change for the better, and will help allow the banks to make more informed decisions.  I will share my views more completely in a moment, but let me start by sharing my situation:

Married. Joint checking. Joint expenses. Joint budget. We opened our first joint accoint together before the wedding to handle expenses related to the wedding and setting up house together. we still share that account to this day, almost 20 years later.  We have gotten into debt trouble as a couple, and have gotten out of it as a couple,  We own a house with a mortgage, again, as a couple.  We have other bank accounts, almost all are joint accounts. (Our 457b accounts are separate, and we each have a CU savings account that are separate). We both have access to all money and all balances. We are both working, and our incomes are good, but he makes more than I do. One of us will handle money management issues, and over the years, we have both performed that task.

I think that different couples DEFINE what it means to be married, as they decide how financial matters will be handled in their homes. For us, we find marriage to be a committed equal partnership. We have no mine, it is all ours. Other couples may see things quite differently.

The IRS tends to believe married couples are pooling their resources, so I do not understand why people on this forum are so upset that the CC companies want to do so as well. I think it is unfair for CC companies to use my whole mortgage,  which is paid by HHI. 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 76 of 79
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Well said, and very refreshing to hear, crunching_numbers, I concur!
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 77 of 79
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

In my opinion you should absolutely be allowed to list household income if you are legally entitled to that income. This does not include kids listing parents income or listing roommates income. Just because one spouse isn't working doesn't mean they are homeless and eat at a soup kitchen. They obviously still have resources. Go get a divorce and see what a judge says about what the other spouse is entitled to. I had a friend who was making $55k a year and his wife about $170k. When they got divorced he got a nice alimony.

As for why, obviously people have hit on the fact that there is never certainly about the future. That could mean a divorce or it could mean a death, either way you want to have your spouse financially well off. Part of good finances includes taking care of your credit. The other overlooked factor is that having two people with good credit will go A LOT farther than just one. Obviously you could use that to over leverage your income to point of double but I'm talking about more of rather than one person taking all the hits for HP's and new accounts, it can be spread over two reports and minimize it.

Message 78 of 79
CarlosDanger
New Visitor

I'm sick of everyone saying using HHI is a recipe for disaster bc divorce, death or loss of job in regards to stay at home spouses. Life is uncertainty. When you have a job and apply for credit, you are hoping and relying on the fact that tomorrow, you're not going to get laid off. So, whats the difference between your Stay at home Spouse or you obtaining the credit if when you die, it'll be their burden either way.

Once married, everything is shared, income and all.

Message 79 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.