Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household income?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Household income?

Also for what it is worth income doesn't play a huge role with alot of CC companies from what I have seen on approvals.  I have seen people get CSP's with < 25k income, it is all about your credit history.. Sure Amex and others like to see high incomes among other card companies if they are going to give you 20k limits, but you sure in the heck dont need those if you aren't paying your own bills.  

Let me give you a little recap of when I was in college. I was a spoiled kid to be quite honest.  I was an AU on my parents platinum AMEX and use to spend about 2k a month at bars and food and they paid the bill... When graduating they took back the AMEX and I had to to fend for myself making 35k a yaer on my first job... Lets shorten this story, got into huge debt, defeaulted and had to rebuild my whole screwed up credit.  I make alot more now, but things from back then are still haunting me.  Just giving you what could happen to you, not saying it will, but you honestly don't need it as I didn't appreciate or understand my parents were actually doing my a diservice of spoiling me.  Hard lesson learned.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Also for what it is worth income doesn't play a huge role with alot of CC companies from what I have seen on approvals.  I have seen people get CSP's with < 25k income, it is all about your credit history.. Sure Amex and others like to see high incomes among other card companies if they are going to give you 20k limits, but you sure in the heck dont need those if you aren't paying your own bills.  

Let me give you a little recap of when I was in college. I was a spoiled kid to be quite honest.  I was an AU on my parents platinum AMEX and use to spend about 2k a month at bars and food and they paid the bill... When graduating they took back the AMEX and I had to to fend for myself making 35k a yaer on my first job... Lets shorten this story, got into huge debt, defeaulted and had to rebuild my whole screwed up credit.  I make alot more now, but things from back then are still haunting me.  Just giving you what could happen to you, not saying it will, but you honestly don't need it as I didn't appreciate or understand my parents were actually doing my a diservice of spoiling me.  Hard lesson learned.

Sometimes a high income can trump a borderline or even unqualified score. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Sometimes a high income can trump a borderline or even unqualified score. Smiley Happy

Amex hasn't quite got past a few baddies of mine and I make good moneySmiley Happy..  I know I am coming to the threshold though where they will throw me an approval sooner then later... approaching 670ish Exp.  They are bound to throw me a bone one of these days.  

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Amex hasn't quite got past a few baddies of mine and I make good moneySmiley Happy..  I know I am coming to the threshold though where they will throw me an approval sooner then later... approaching 670ish Exp.  They are bound to throw me a bone one of these days.  

Yeah, I would generally say don't bother apping below 670 EXP.

I did and was denied even though I have an almost 7yr old card w/them already!

Once I got past 670, I was finally approved for two more AMEX cards. PRG and ED.

Message 14 of 17
blondy250
Established Contributor

They mean your income, and if your married your spouse. Definitely not your parents , to suggest anything else is irresponsible.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 15 of 17
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

I am just like you! I am in college and my parents pay off my credit card every month....
Thanks for the input! I was just wondering because my parents pay for my credit card bills every month...
PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 16 of 17
mab463
Established Member

It's definitely you & spouse. Even though they say that it's any income you have access to, I treid applyng with my parents' income once becasue the branch manager told me to, as I was in college. They of course wanted proof of income and wanted documents with my name, which I couldn't provide.

Capital One MC - $750 CL
Discover IT - $750 CL

Gardening since 6/18/14
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.