Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How App Store/iTunes are classified

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How App Store/iTunes are classified

Anyone know how the App Store for Apple/iOS and iTunes are classified and if there is a CC that offers cash back on that category?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: How App Store/iTunes are classified

I know if you buy a GC at the grocery store and have a BCP you can make 6% on it Smiley Happy

>>not a fan of apple<<

Message 2 of 11
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I use my BCP as my iTunes linked card, and Amex categorizes iTunes as "entertainment". I am trying to think which cards offer specific entertainment category cash back.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea

>>> HUGE fan of Apple <<<
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx Discover... I think Marvel does. I don't have one and won't get one for this but maybe one of my other cards like Cash+ or if I app for the Huntington card has it.
Message 5 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

I use my BCP as my iTunes linked card, and Amex categorizes iTunes as "entertainment". I am trying to think which cards offer specific entertainment category cash back.

Doesn't Marvel have that catagory?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marvel has 3% entertainment. Assuming they categorize the same with Synchrony it should be fine. But unless you're strapped for cash to the point you can't go buy gift cards at 6% back from a grocery store (in which case you shouldn't be buying iTunes anyway) then there's no reason to open a new tradeline, unless 3% dining is also valuable to you.

Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

For a moment i thought you were referencing that they are now classified, like top secret or eyes only, man what goes through the mind over some morning joeSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never thought of the 6% route and since I have that card I will do that. I would never open a card just for that-I was wondering if USB Cash+ or Huntington Voice had a category that would work when I made the post-but thx to Austins suggestion I have a new plan of attack with my App Store and iTunes purchases. Then I dont care how they are classified. Lol
Message 9 of 11
blondy250
Established Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

My Amex PRG classifies itunes purchases as general merchandise.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.