cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can Citi Not Know If It's a Hard or Soft Hit?

tag
plasticguy
Established Contributor

How Can Citi Not Know If It's a Hard or Soft Hit?

I got the "Request An Increase Button" I click it and was given the 950-5114 number to call. I asked them before they submitted the request would it be a "soft" or a "Hard" and was told there's no way to know until after the request was made, they just needed income info. You'd think they would know. My Equifax score is 805 with no inquires and I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. Any advice would be well appreciated
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Re: How Can Citi Not Know If It's a Hard or Soft Hit?

The new cc law requires income and credit verification for all applications for new credit.  Most credit grantors have interpreted this to mean a CLI or a new account and requires a hard pull.  I just read a post where requesting a replacement card resulted in a hard pull.

The only cc company (or CU), I have seen recently that is not requiring a hard pull for a CLI is BoA.

Your creditors have the right to verify your credit any time they want to so don't be surprised if what used to be an AR pull is now a hard.

Freezing your CR will prevent hard pulls, even from existing creditors.

I have frozen all my CR's for the foreseeable future for this reason.

YMMV

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

What are the disadvantages to freezing your credit report? 

*Bought 1st Home on 7/11/07 thanks to myFICO Forums*

4/2013 - FICO: 685
Payment History: Great
Amt of Debt: Not Good
Length: Good
Amt of New Credit: Good

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 3 of 8
plasticguy
Established Contributor

I went ahead and requested it, they gave me $1400 without doing a HARD, I asked her twice and she said it was an AUTO!
Message 4 of 8
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

nice..congrats

*Bought 1st Home on 7/11/07 thanks to myFICO Forums*

4/2013 - FICO: 685
Payment History: Great
Amt of Debt: Not Good
Length: Good
Amt of New Credit: Good

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI has done soft on EX for the last 3 months.

I have not apped with them although I want to

Have a pre-approval #.

Message 6 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

The new cc law requires income and credit verification for all applications for new credit.  Most credit grantors have interpreted this to mean a CLI or a new account and requires a hard pull.  I just read a post where requesting a replacement card resulted in a hard pull.

The only cc company (or CU), I have seen recently that is not requiring a hard pull for a CLI is BoA.

Your creditors have the right to verify your credit any time they want to so don't be surprised if what used to be an AR pull is now a hard.

Freezing your CR will prevent hard pulls, even from existing creditors.

I have frozen all my CR's for the foreseeable future for this reason.

YMMV

Not sure if this is the case for all credit issuers. Penfed softed me on 3/17 their usual quarterly EQ soft for me. When I logged in on April 1 there were any number of preapprovals for pull free credit. I took the bump on my existing Gold Visa card. No soft or hard.

Message 7 of 8
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@homerunstacy wrote:

What are the disadvantages to freezing your credit report? 

The only disadvantage I have seen is that you must thaw your report for a hard pull.  This can be inconvenient if you are actively seeking credit.  I am in the credit gardening mode (heading for the high achievers group). and don't want to chance a hard pull.

So, I see that we have BoA, PenFed and possibly Citi who are still softing for a CLI (although CITI may do a hard if it's not an auto CLI).

Are there others?

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.