Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can You Get A Trip To Disney World?

tag
firstladyd
Contributor

How Can You Get A Trip To Disney World?

Hi everybody.  I am not knowledgable on miles and reward points so I am hoping for some advice from the gurus here.

Over Valentines Day my DH and I had a convo about planning a vacation to Disney World. I said I bet we could get there and stay for free if we apped and got the right reward and miles cards. He looked at me like I was insane. He says this is "just not possible. NO WAY"    Sooo, I am looking to prove him wrong.

I know the Dolphin and Swan hotels @ Disney are Starwood, so the SPG will work there. Im just not sure if I would qualify just yet. What other hotels if any will work?

I am not sure what is needed here to get advice to figure this out. We live in Houston. Family of 4. (2 adults 2 children 16 and 1) Looking for 4 days 3 nights.

Currently have a low 700 score. AAOA 1yr, never late no baddies, Cap1 securd $300 limit 3yrs 0 bal (looking to close and replace), Discover more $7200 limit got in October $2600 bal.

The rest are store cards all 0 bal except Rm Store $3100 limit 2yrs $1092 bal.  Comenity Ln Bryant $750 2yrs, Walmart $1200 4months, Best Buy $500 1.5yrs, Fingerhut $1200 2yrs.

Thanks in advance.   PLEASE help me prove him wrong. He really thinks I am CRAZY. He just doesnt get it.    

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: How Can You Get A Trip To Disney World?

I think an air miles card and a hotel rewards card should do it.  I think someone has a Disney Visa, maybe it was Chase.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@firstladyd wrote:

Hi everybody.  I am not knowledgable on miles and reward points so I am hoping for some advice from the gurus here.

Over Valentines Day my DH and I had a convo about planning a vacation to Disney World. I said I bet we could get there and stay for free if we apped and got the right reward and miles cards. He looked at me like I was insane. He says this is "just not possible. NO WAY"    Sooo, I am looking to prove him wrong.

@I know the Dolphin and Swan hotels @ Disney are Starwood, so the SPG will work there. Im just not sure if I would qualify just yet. What other hotels if any will work?

I am not sure what is needed here to get advice to figure this out. We live in Houston. Family of 4. (2 adults 2 children 16 and 1) Looking for 4 days 3 nights.

Currently have a low 700 score. AAOA 1yr, never late no baddies, Cap1 securd $300 limit 3yrs 0 bal (looking to close and replace), Discover more $7200 limit got in October $2600 bal.

The rest are store cards all 0 bal except Rm Store $3100 limit 2yrs $1092 bal.  Comenity Ln Bryant $750 2yrs, Walmart $1200 4months, Best Buy $500 1.5yrs, Fingerhut $1200 2yrs.

Thanks in advance.   PLEASE help me prove him wrong. He really thinks I am CRAZY. He just doesnt get it.    

Not sure but I would head over to chase and do pre-qual.

Ask Walmart for a CLI, ask for manual review if you have to and try for $5k or more....

Amex - id say go for it... 

chase has a disney card don't they? you could see if you pre-qualify for something else first and take it if you are then go right back in and apply for the Disney... you can move lines if you end up with both but need more credit on one.

flying, not sure what you have from texas but virgin? that is a barclay card, you could probably get that in the 700's and they are FANTASTIC at recon... instantly! recon denials, recond credit lines, 2, 3 times until you get what you want or close!

umm... southwest, united are chase so if you are doing chase above, 3rd might be hard!

jet blue is amex and delta also... so you could figure out if that's better then spg.

I have to say, I really like the idea of doing this.... not sure how it will work out or if it's best but I kind of throw caution to the wind when it comes to applying and worrying about denials or INQ unless you are within 12 months of mortgage!

Message 3 of 20
firstladyd
Contributor

I saw the Disney Chase But it just seemed that other reward and miles cards offered better deals. Im just not sure. Im really just lost with trying to research this whole thing but I am determined to get us there for free with rewards or with a substantial discount.

Message 4 of 20
firstladyd
Contributor

No mortgage for at least 3 years. DH just changed jobs temporarily and will be changing again in ayear.

Message 5 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would do it but I think my partner would shoot me if I sat here and "mock" booked a vacation... tempted to call Infiniti Personal Assistant though to go to work for you! Smiley Tongue

I would lay it out like you are booking but stop at that point.

So first look at flights and who looks like best options and costs.

then look at hotels in and around and see cost and options.

Car if needed, etc. etc.

then when you have a dollar figure say $1k in flights for 4 on united and $1k hotel costs - now you can break down the opening rewards vs. opening spend specials and see who has the best to get you the closest to pay for it all.

Just your credit or him too... 1-2 people is probably doable for hotel and flying but 4 plane tickets on 1 credit card might be hard!

Message 6 of 20
firstladyd
Contributor

Just my credit. Still cleaning his up.  Im not looking to do this trip until spring or fall of 2015. So need points miles that dont expire. Looks like United or Spirit has best fares from Houston to orlando.

Message 7 of 20
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

@firstladyd wrote:

Just my credit. Still cleaning his up.  Im not looking to do this trip until spring or fall of 2015. So need points miles that dont expire. Looks like United or Spirit has best fares from Houston to orlando.

United should be fairly straightforward if you're willing to app several times with Chase. You'll definitely need the Sapphire Preferred, which will allow you to transfer Ultimate Rewards points directly to a United MileagePlus account. You can get another card that earns UR points, such as the Freedom, and pool those in as well. If you still need more miles, United also has its credit cards with Chase, so you can apply for the United Explorer or Club card, which will earn you even more miles.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 8 of 20
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

As for hotels, it looks like there are a few Hilton properties in the area, and there are several opportunities out there to earn big Hilton sign-up bonuses. Hilton has 2 credit cards with American Express and 2 with Citibank, which will net you over 100k points plus 2 free weekend nights.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 9 of 20
firstladyd
Contributor

I see you have the BOA Travel Rewards. How do you like that card ? I keep getiing offers from them but havent pulled the trigger yet. I dont see very many happy people on here with BOA.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.