Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Charge Cards vs Credit Cards Report

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: How Charge Cards vs Credit Cards Report

@CS800 wrote:

Yikes on the TU98. If I charge $5000 on my charge card,and if my balance is factored in my utilization, then my util will be 160%. Smiley Sad

Am I right to assume this?

No, across all scoring methods the one thing you can count on is a cards limit is ITS' own limit. A NPSL is just that, flexible, the CRA's all know that, so if you charge 5000 on your charge card (the issuer approved it or it wouldn't be posting), that is the MINIMUM limit for that card at that point in time and does NOT  "spill over" onto your other limits. Now if the card is closed and you don't PIF right away, it WILL affect your score as it would be factored in as being the card is closed, and it has a zero limit at that point. The scoring models can not "use" the available credit on your other lines, but it will SCORE you as though you were at 160% util without stating it being phrased that way as well as factoring in a closed account with a zero limit being 5k over the credit line (at that point you can expect quick AA from your other creditors along with all your scores diving). Only the charge card itself would be considered "maxed out" at it's high limit while open and in good standing.

Hope that helps a bit with that concern.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 11 of 12
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: How Charge Cards vs Credit Cards Report

If  the balance is due in full each month then it is not included in your FICO util.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.