cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Discover Authorized users work??!

tag
firesoul453
Contributor

Re: How Discover Authorized users work??!

How would it report?

I can put any name, no verification, no SSN. no address no phone number.

Unless its a spouce I don't see how that would work

especially if its someone non related living at a totaly different address.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 11 of 16
wreith
Frequent Contributor

I am a AU on DW's discover, it shows as a TL on my EQ and TU, but not my EX which is kind of sad cause my EX AAoA went down with the addition of my new accounts.  Is there a way to get it show on EX or does EX just not count it?

01/06/2015 Walmart TU 726
01/06/2015MyFico EQ 705
01/10/2014 USAA FAKO EX 728, EQ 728, TU 728
Discover It $1700, USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $11K, USAA Rewards Platinum MC $12K, CareCredit $13.2K, Chase Freedom $5000, Walmart $4500, Lowes $9800, QVC $1200, HSN $2350, Macys Red Star Store $2900, Paypal smart connect $4022, VS Angelcard $1200, Amazon Store $2500, BCE $4K, Sam's Club Discover $8500, Home Depot $7200, FNBO AMEX $7800
Message 12 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Lenders can tell if an account is AU or not on the CR. Many times manual review of your CR will ignore such accounts.

Message 13 of 16
firesoul453
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Friends,

I have a question about authorized users with Discover Card and how they report. So I have a great friend of mine that is(Did) add me as an authorized user to her card to help me build my payment history and score. However, they did not ask for my SSN# or address, just my name..... so my question is how will they know its me and how will it report??

Short and sweet lol

Thanks

If your goal is to build a payment history and improve your credit score, then just get a card and do good with it. Thats your best bet.

Even if  by chance, it is reporting for you, and somehow in the future you do try a lender that doesn't see this as an intended "piggyback", and they accept this as real legitiment benefitical history, it still won't help as much as having your own credit card with your own history.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 14 of 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

most CC companies do report AUs. I dont myself have a discover card though and am not sure how they in particular work, but a reported AU account will affect your reports and scores. Some people have had a lot of luck with AU accounts and havr been helped greatly by them, but under a manual review (for example, if you recon) the AU accounts do appear as just that, it will say "Authorized User" next to it and the underwriter reviewing your app will take into consideration that those accounts are not yours, and they may not help you at all.

Hope this helps!!

Edit: Sorry, couldn't edit from my cell phone earlier, but, remember, when added as an AU (if the card reports), the AU will also get any late payments associated with the account as well, not just the positive history. Also, the cards that only ask for name usually will only report if the person lives at the same address. 

Message 15 of 16
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

If its different name, not a spouse or at different address you might not see that card on your report. I'll give you an interesting story and example from my experience.

GF put me on her Wells Fargo card in January. All they asked is name as well so that was it. I did not see the card being reported and when she called they said they report but all they use is name but if it does not show up in the credit report then they cant help that. Well we left that alone.

In July GF applied for Zync and got me as a AU on that. AMEX asks for Social Security number. They sent her my Zync card to her house but it was addressed to me. Anyway Zync popped up on all 3 of my reports and Experian lists her address as one of my addresses. EQ and TU does not have her address

Lo and behold Wells Fargo showed up same day as AMEX on Experian with 7 months of history. I guess because now the address on Experian shows the same as her address it showed up. TU and EQ does not show Wells Fargo, I think because it does not show her address.

It could be a coincidence, but I think when Amex updated my Experian with her address since this is where they sent the card Wells Fargo card showed up as now my name and address is a match rather than just any person with my name...if this makes sense

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.