cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do Au's Get A Real Card? Trying For My GF...

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

How Do Au's Get A Real Card? Trying For My GF...

My Gf has one disputed ca from 6 years ago ('opened 2 years ago) and has 675+ for EXP/TU and 771 EQ. I posted about her earlier but I wanted to just do one last q to see if any other options passed us.

Have any of you AU users, without recent revolving history, received ANY UNSECURED bank card? Forget store card, we just want to know if there is a proven way to get a card (HSBC/BoA/ETc) or if she MUST, from what you au's have experienced, get a secured from boa first?

Thanks. She doesn't need more than one card and she doesn't want to burn inq's. She's apping with hsbc so hopefully that works. That said, AU's, if you are out there I'd love to hear from you.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: How Do Au's Get A Real Card? Trying For My GF...

Citibank gave me my first card when I was 18
Message 2 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

My husband's only revolving history was as AU on 3 of my store cards, which were only about2-3 years old.

I'd finally convinced him it was past time for him to get a good portfolio of prime cards. He had perfect payment history on 10+ years of  car loans, but no revolving credit of his own,  and I remember reading another forum member's wise words that the time to get credit is when you don't need it!

His scores were in the  690s, TU was 720+ I think, in April 2008 when he apped for and received:

Amex Gold, Citi Plat, Bank of America and Discover More.

He apped all at once so the inqs would all age together.

Your gf's scores are in the "good" to "excellent" range and I don't think the one CA will be an issue.  Often, if something like that is a point of contention with the  CCC, you can explain it in a recon.

Good Luck!
FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 3 of 23
jbh
Established Contributor

Thank you. One concern I have is the au history is on closed accounts. If I put her on as an AU for one of my rebuilder cards that's 6+ months old to a year, would it show as 'active' for her during that time?

She tried chase and chase flatly denied her and HSBC only recommended the orchard secured. Keep in mind, there is no active au. Maybe your Husband received it due to active au? I guess there is a difference.

Ty very much for the time and ideas.
Message 4 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if HSBC is offering secured only, you my as well not waste the inq for citi, discover, bofa.
she is better off getting a secured card with bofa.
the collection must be hurting here and not having ACTIVE au accounts.
Message 5 of 23
jbh
Established Contributor

The ca will go away instantly when paid (NY 5 year law for paid ca's). I wonder if I put her on my Orchard, which hits 6 months in November, would that count as active history in her favor? I could also add first premier (not great, but it's something) which is about a year.

Good clean history on those 2 and I'll sock drawer them. By November, would it look like she had a year of active history with First Premier if they authorized it? Just trying to see how this works.
Message 6 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

She'lll have the exact same history (age of card, payment record, utilization) as you  with either card........ as long as they actually report AUs to the CRA.

I think most CCCs do, (I'm AU now on DH's new cards) and usually a SSN# is  not even required.

I'm just not sure if sub-prime cards are any different when it comes to reporting AUs, but I would think if store cards report, then surely sub-primes would, too!
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

jbh wrote:
The ca will go away instantly when paid (NY 5 year law for paid ca's).

You might want to double check that - Her SOL for collecting may be 5 years, but it should still remain on her report for 7-7.5 years.

Good luck!
Message 8 of 23
jbh
Established Contributor

I did double check .It's a ny law stated within FCRA and Experian knows about it and it's (I believe) also listed in back of EQ hard copy reports. I know for a fact it's real in NY and know ny'ers who have removed items due to it.

That said, I just wonder if having my limited history through AU would at least get her foot in the door in a few months through some web apps. She's very responsible and went through a lot of issues with id theft and waited years to be able to start again.

Thanks, guys.
Message 9 of 23
rom828
Established Contributor

I'm no expert, but I think with the AU history on her report she should have a fairly good shot at a card, albeit with lowish CL.

I might even suggest that she try calling in her app(s) so that she can overcome any objection/make any explanations etc.  right at the time as opposed to having to do a recon.  My Discover More, for instance, wasn't an instant approval, but I only had to verify address and employment when I called in and got approved.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.