Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Valued Contributor

Re: How Do Auto-CLIs Happen?

daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Discover seems to like people carrying and paying down balances, at least they like it when my boyfriend does it!!! Hasn't had the card for a year (opened May 2012) and they've bumped him twice from $1250 to $1500 to most recently $1900! High balance was around $900+ now down to mid $700s...go brother has an account as well and they haven't done anything for him, polar opposite of boyfriend, makes small purchases then PIF, has had account since June 2012, still at $5000

Then again, I could be comparing apples to received preselected mailing for Open Road Student (?) (Discover account does not list it as a Student Open Road, however), while boyfriend applied for the More, was denied, but offered the $1250 card instead, not sure what kind of rewards, if any, it has, or what card it actually is.

I looked at your signature and actually laughed at that Shell card down there.  I was like, really $800?  I understand that Orchard one, but Shell and $800?  The other limits you have and then Shell! 

I hope Discover is nice to me!  I don't want a Capone situation happening!  (I doubt it will.)  His student account might be classified differently for a set period of time or a maximum limit until he turns a certain age or something.  Besides, as you say he only uses it a little so his limit is more than fine for him.  I don't plan on using my Discover much at first, because there were no sign up bonus points, instead I will abuse that Chase card to grab those bonuses as fast as I can and then sock drawer it until they raise the limit so that I can get rid of those bad cards at some point in my siggy. 

Yeah, back to a seedling because of United and Chase.... I swear, I am going to the garden right now.
Regular Contributor

I can speak about my experiences with Discover auto-CLIs (YMMV, obviously!). 

Discover - I've had the Miles card for a little over a year. During the 0%APR promotional when I first opened the account, I carried a balance but was never given an auto-CLI. After the promotional period I started paying in full. Around 8 months after getting the card I asked for a CLI via their "luv button" and received a 2X CLI. About 4 months later I recieved a $1200 auto-CLI. I think I average about $200-$500/mnth and pif. 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor

I've only gotten one auto CLI and that was from BofA, who apparently never does anything like that. I had my first CC with them and it was stuck at a CL of $700 for almost three and a half years. Then, out of the blue, Credit Karma tells me my CL has been increased to $2,200! I was elated, as I had heard from here that BofA only did hard pull CLIs.

The funny thing is that after the CLI I initiated a PC, because I was tired of having to paying the AF. But when the CLI letter came from BofA, it said that they had gotten rid of the AF as well!

Apparently when it rains, it pours when it comes to BofA's generosity lol.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.