cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Treat My New Amex Delta Gold Card w/TLC???

tag
CastilloMom

How Do I Treat My New Amex Delta Gold Card w/TLC???

Hello all - I'm not new to the forum but this is my first post. After cleaning up and re-establishing my credit over the last 2 years with the help of this site, I finally took the plunge and applied for an Amex Delta Skymiles Card and to my surprise was approved. My dilemma is that after reading countless threads about how high maintenance Amex is, I'm a little nervous about using it. I've read conflicting info as to usage - some use their card very conservatively while I've seen a couple of posts from those who use it as their primary card. I'd like to accomplish a couple of things which is to establish a long term relationship with Amex, show them I can use credit responsibly and hopefully reapply for the Costco Amex card which I was declined for about 8 months ago. Along the way I'd like to rack up some Skymiles so I'll probably keep the card since I like to travel. My Costco executive membership gets regular usage so I want that Costco Amex card in a bad way. My CL with the card is pretty low at $1,000 but I'm so happy I was approved, I can't complain and will try to be patient and let the CLIs happen without pushing it. So my questions are as follows: 1. Is it ok to use the card heavily as long as I PIF? 2. Should I be wary of adding an AU and will it help the AU establish credit? 3. Would waiting a year to reapply for the Costco Amex be ok as long as my overall util is low and my score is decent (over 720)? 4. Anything else I should be wary of when using the card?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How Do I Treat My New Amex Delta Gold Card w/TLC???

Pay in full, stay under 850/1000 or so and always carry a backup card.

Smiley Happy

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more answers --

Congrats on your card and welcome to the fora!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 2 of 6
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

1. Lots of card usage makes Amex extremely happy, but you should definitely PIF, especially for about the first year or so while they warm up to you.

2. Amex has no issues with AU cards that I've ever heard of, so feel free to AU away.

3. Apparently the Costco card is a toughie. You might want to wait until you have a EX 700 if you don't already, and probably add another 6 months to that for Amex to start liking you.

4. I recommend checking your Amex online every morning, if possible. This should help save some embarrassment in case you get flagged for FR.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 6
CastilloMom

Thanks for the welcome! So the Amex website will indicate if I'm up for FR? That's good to know, thanks.

Message Edited by CastilloMom on 07-26-2008 06:59 PM
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If anything, I think that AmEx gets more antsy about what's going on with your other accounts. They will soft you very frequently at first, and if you suddenly have high balances or late payments on other cards, or go on an app spree, they will absolutely know about it.

So keep your nose clean on all your credit (a good idea, anyway) and give them time to get used to you. But definitely use the card --they like that. Just don't think about carrying balances and whatnot.

If you want to make payments on your balances before the first statement posts, you'll have to mail in a check, or initiate an online payment from your bank account, rather than on the AmEx site. But once the first statement posts, you can pay online from their site if you wish.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
CastilloMom

As soon as my card arrives I'm setting the account for bill pay on my online banking. Thanks!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.