cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Get Airline Credit Cards to Reduce Rates and Eliminate Annual Fees?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Do You Get Airline Credit Cards to Reduce Rates and Eliminate Annual Fees?

I have great credit (Experian 810) but the airline credit cards (United Chase,  Delta Amex, US Airways have really high interest rates 18% so I only use them if I know I can pay them back really soon.

Has anyone had any luck getting the airline credit cards to lower your rates. 

Also I am getting to my second year with Delta Amex and do not want to pay the annual fee. Anyone have any luck in getting that dismissed. 

I got Chase United to get rid of the annual fee but I only get half a mile for each dollar. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Do You Get Airline Credit Cards to Reduce Rates and Eliminate Annual Fees?

Now is not a good time to carry a balance on airline card. They have always had high rates due to the fact you earn miles, and the fees are going to be harder to get waived. The cards are designed for people who pay in full every month. It really comes down to the question, do you earn enough miles to justify both the high rate and the membership fee
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Do You Get Airline Credit Cards to Reduce Rates and Eliminate Annual Fees?

Not sure who issued your US Airways card but I have a BofA USAir rewards card with a 12.9 + $90 AF. I called about dropping the AF but was told that nonnegotiable.
Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

UsAirways with Juni? they have tiers, I would call and ask for the better tier, it's about 13, still not great, but not bad for an airline card I don't think.

Amex, some have talked about success with getting annual fees waived, others not so much, you could always product change it to something with no annual fee, and amex is usually good about going down on APR if you are a liked customer.

Chase is also hit or miss, seems like some poeple have super low rates, like 5% while others have 35, so I don't know how they work with APR! 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fees for airline discounts etc. are always nonnegotiable...........they aren't worth the money unless you travel at least 2x a month and get reimbursement from an employer.........

Try Citi-Cards cash rewards you get $50 up to 4 times a year and it builds quickly with a decent interest rate.

REFUSE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Message 5 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have never had any luck with airline cards.  And with the airlines moving deeper and deeper into the manure and the CCCs being even worse off, I don't think I will have any more luck in the future
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 7
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

When Amex cld'd my poor Delta Gold ONE week before its 1 year anniversary, I was pretty livid.  I was not about to pay a $95 AF on a card w/ a new CL of $500.

I called Amex and switched to the Delta Options Amex.  No AF, tho you only earn half a mile per dollar on most purchases.  (Amex was in the process of getting rid of their double miles on the Delta Gold anyway.)

I ended up getting a decent intro rate (3.9) and the regular rate is 13.24%, which is pointless b/c I'm not about to carry a balance w/ Amex.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.