Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Does Amex NPSL Work?

tag
CalAlumnus13
Contributor

How Does Amex NPSL Work?

I know the basics: NPSL doesn't mean unlimited spending, and Amex can deny a charge if it exceeds what they think I'm able to pay, based on what they know about my income, credit, and past spending.

My question is this: Could my PRG have a relatively low "credit limit" beyond which I could not make any purchases, even one that's relatively small ($50-$100) and consistent with my past purchases? 

Basically, I'm worried about using the PRG for dining, and getting a meal declined unexpectedly in front of friends or family. Could this realistically happen, assuming I haven't already spent x times as much as I normally do in a month?

(I'm aware of the Check Spending Ability tool, but that seems to relate more to a single large purchase than to an overall limit.)

FICOs: EX (per Amex, 1/20/18): 830 | TU (per Discover, 1/20/18): 817

Wallet: Discover It $35.5k | Amex EveryDay $25k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $19.5k | Chase Freedom $8.5k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.5k | Amex BCE $7.7k

Drawer: Hella More
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Re: How Does Amex NPSL Work?

They wont drop your internal limit down just because you dont use it. I never use my NPSL cards but I have an internal limit of 4k all the time. You can also call AmEx and they will tell you your internal limit.

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.