cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Does It Work When Citi Goes Through Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Does It Work When Citi Goes Through Amex?

Ok so I recently converted my Citi Platinum MasterCard to a Citi Platinum American Express (or something of that nature). But basically it's an American Express... How does this actually work that American Express is the credit company but Citi is the bank giving out the card? Will this help my chances of getting an Amex in the future?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: How Does It Work When Citi Goes Through Amex?

bluebobbo wrote:
Ok so I recently converted my Citi Platinum MasterCard to a Citi Platinum American Express (or something of that nature). But basically it's an American Express... How does this actually work that American Express is the credit company but Citi is the bank giving out the card? Will this help my chances of getting an Amex in the future?

I have happened to compare Citi Amex Platinum and American Express Platinum. I did not find significant difference between those two, but Citi card much cheaper and I want it, but according to www.financeglobe.com recommended FICO score for Citi Amex Platinum is 757.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

bluebobbo wrote:

Do not confuse the American Express bank with the American Express network.

American Express (the bank) issues cards, and determines the underwriting standards for those cards they issue.  Cards issued by American Express use the American Express network at the point of sale.

Citi also issues cards that use the American Express network, in the same way they issue cards that use the MasterCard network and the Visa network.  This means these cards carry the American Express logo and are accepted wherever American Express cards are accepted.  However, the card is still issued and underwritten by Citi.  American Express has nothing to do with the underwriting of a card issued by Citi that uses the American Express network.

Having a Citi card that uses the American Express network will make you neither more nor less likely to receive a card actually issued by American Express in the future.

Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

cheddar wrote:

Do not confuse the American Express bank with the American Express network.

American Express (the bank) issues cards, and determines the underwriting standards for those cards they issue.  Cards issued by American Express use the American Express network at the point of sale.

Citi also issues cards that use the American Express network, in the same way they issue cards that use the MasterCard network and the Visa network.  This means these cards carry the American Express logo and are accepted wherever American Express cards are accepted.  However, the card is still issued and underwritten by Citi.  American Express has nothing to do with the underwriting of a card issued by Citi that uses the American Express network.

Having a Citi card that uses the American Express network will make you neither more nor less likely to receive a card actually issued by American Express in the future.

Well said! Good, responsible use of just about any CC will help the OP get an Amex card.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.