Established Contributor
jbh

How Does One Qualify For A Line Of Credit?

Are the approval requirements the same as a credit card? My bank is BoA and they

denied me a credit card because I had too many new accounts (not enough that are a year old)

I was able to land a citi business but I know boa hates me. So, I wonder, would a LOC

application also lead to the same results? For those that have both cc's and LOC's, have you noticed

a difference in lending requirements for each unique offering?

Thank you very much.

Super Contributor
concorduser

Re: How Does One Qualify For A Line Of Credit?

BOA is pretty tough no a days. I had more luck with Citi than BOA for Credit Cards. I could not get LOC from BOA or Citi. I would try after 6 months again.
Established Contributor
jbh

Well, just to clarify I never tried for LOC before and, as for cc's, I might just

go with credit unions in the future. 

Moderator Emeritus
fused

I have a CC with FIA and an unsecured LOC with BoA. I've had these accounts for some time, but at the time I apped, I couldn't find any difference between the two accounts as far as underwriting goes. After all, they are both unsecured revolving accounts. Unfortunately, today's bad economy is throwing a wrench into everything.

Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

Established Contributor
jbh

Thanks, Fused.
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

National City Declined a Business Line of Credit for my mom, but then 1 week later approved 15k Business Credit Card.  Fifth Third declined a line of credit but then approved a $17,500 Credit card also in my moms name.

The only place we have successfully received a line of credit was our local credit union, and part of the approval they paid off 1 credit card to bring util into the range they except.

They are much stricter in my experience then credit cards.

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem

Creditaddict wrote:

They are much stricter in my experience then credit cards.

NFCU seems pretty generous with their LOC FWIW.

Here we go again...

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}