cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Does PayPal Credit Work When Going Over?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Does PayPal Credit Work When Going Over?

I have a PP Credit account and was wondering how they handle going over your limit? I know they say you can purchase something over the limit and it may be approved. If it's not approved, what happens? Do they automatically process the difference on another payment method listed without asking you or do they send you a notification letting you know they couldn't do it but you can do it this way? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Does PayPal Credit Work When Going Over?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a PP Credit account and was wondering how they handle going over your limit? I know they say you can purchase something over the limit and it may be approved. If it's not approved, what happens? Do they automatically process the difference on another payment method listed without asking you or do they send you a notification letting you know they couldn't do it but you can do it this way? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I tried this a couple months ago. I tried to buy a TV at best buy online knowing I didn't have enough credit but figuring I'd get the increase. You're smart for thinking about this because when I did it I just figured it would approve or decline based on PayPal credit availability. I had enough on my MC (secondary payment option) but it just declined luckily because It would have maxed out my CC and I hadn't even thought about that. Got a letter a few days later saying they couldn't raise my limit because of short history etc.

Now this was a couple months ago. The other day I happened to be reading T/C on PayPal and read something "don't worry, if you don't have enough credit available and you're not eligible for an increase we can approve your transaction using your secondary forms of payment". So, the one time I tried it and was declined they didn't touch my secondary but I won't do that again unless I'm okay with my secondary being charged because after reading that statement the other day it seems like they could. Sorry, not much help but that's what happened to me the one time I tried to go over, they didn't touch I my second and third payment options. If you don't want your alternate payment methods being charged I wouldn't do it.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is exact the way I read the T&C also. I was just needing to verify that's what happens. Thank you for your input... I thought they would probably process a second method without letting you know first!
Message 3 of 10
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

i had my paypal almost maxed out and was going to get tickets on stubhub(or some similar website) I saw they accepted PayPal and gave it a try. Paypal declined the increase but automatically charged my debit card on file. Good thing I was planning on buying either way.
Message 4 of 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it's not approved you have to use a different payment method.

If it is approved the purchase goes through and the amount is your new CL.  That's how you get CLI with Paypal Credit... making purchases that are approved over your limit.

I opened my account September 2013 with a $301 CL (yes, $301) and it is now $3300.  Not too shabby.

What's great is they don't report the TL... and it's great for interest free cash advances too.  That's actually how I just got my most recent CLI yesterday.  My CL was $2508... and my brother asked if he could get an advance on his tax return.  He wants the cash now and doesn't want to wait 2-3 weeks for his W-2 and refund to arrive.  So we pulled his last paystub and input the numbers and he's getting back just over $3200...

So I went to Paypal Credit.. had him send me a bill for $3300 (so he pays the fee and I can get promotional financing for the "purchase")... I paid it with Paypal Credit and they approved it for the $3300... he got $3204 after the 3% fee.

0% No payments no interest for 6 months.

He wrote me a check for $3300 that I will hold until his refund arrives... after it does I can go ahead and pay it off... or I can hold the cash for 6 months and pay it off in July.

Paypal Credit just wins.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If it is approved the purchase goes through and the amount is your new CL.  That's how you get CLI with Paypal Credit... making purchases that are approved over your limit.

I opened my account September 2013 with a $301 CL (yes, $301) and it is now $3300.  Not too shabby.

What's great is they don't report the TL... and it's great for interest free cash advances too.  That's actually how I just got my most recent CLI yesterday.  My CL was $2508... and my brother asked if he could get an advance on his tax return.  He wants the cash now and doesn't want to wait 2-3 weeks for his W-2 and refund to arrive.  So we pulled his last paystub and input the numbers and he's getting back just over $3200...

So I went to Paypal Credit.. had him send me a bill for $3300 (so he pays the fee and I can get promotional financing for the "purchase")... I paid it with Paypal Credit and they approved it for the $3300... he got $3204 after the 3% fee.

He wrote me a check for $3300 that I will hold until his refund arrives... after it does I can go ahead and pay it off... or I can hold the cash for 6 months and pay it off in July.

Paypal Credit just wins.

Very interesting.  I never thought about using it that way.  Guess you definitely need another person with PayPal that you can trust to do it that way.

Message 6 of 10
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Paypal Credit just wins.

Hmmmmmm, interesting. I'll keep this mind because I currently have Paypal Credit too and it's been great.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Paypal Credit just wins.

Good thing they don't report!!

Message 8 of 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good thing they don't report!!

I know!  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to take advantage of their financing offers!

Yes you most definitely need someone trustworthy to do these types of transactions... and it's convenient to have an interest free cash advance available any time I want it that doesn't report... all for a 3% fee.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome info! Thanks everyone!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.