cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Generous is Citi with starting CL's?

tag
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

How Generous is Citi with starting CL's?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting but have been lurking for quite awhile now. I was thinking about adding a Citi (either forward or TY Preferred) to my portfolio as its really the last major lender that I'm missing. Based on my Fico's I'm pretty sure approval wouldn't be an issue. So I guess my question is whether or not anyone has any experience with Citi matching or exceeding cl's of other creditors on existing tradelines? 

Income is a bit of a limiting factor for me as I am currently in grad school. I finish up school in May and have accepted a well paying full time position so it would be best for me to just wait a year increase my existing cl's accordingly and then app for citi but I am a bit impatient. 

I would appreciate the input of anyone was has experience with Citi.Thank you.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
n777ua
Established Contributor

Re: How Generous is Citi with staring cl's

They are fairly generous from what I can tell.  Back in college, before I had a BK7, I had a citi card with an initial limit of 2K, which was $15k 6 months later...I think my stated income was $4k.   

Those days are over for sure ...

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id wait until your income is up after grad school. its the safe route.

back into the garden!

<-----

Message 3 of 17
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

They gave me my first 2 cards with 3k limit each. So far, citi has been the most generous (excepting GE store cards)

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 4 of 17
LilNYC
New Contributor

They were really generous with me but my income is relatively high. The back of my pre-approved ThankYou offer stated that they determine CL based on the applicant's income & income in relation to any debt reflected on the credit rport. That being said, I'd suggest waiting till your income is higher. If it helps I have 2 cards with them. The 2nd card thry approved me for is more than double my CL with Chase & the 1st card they gave me  is even higher than that. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 5 of 17
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: How Generous is Citi with starting CL's?

quadrupled my highest CL.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 6 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

They were really generous with me but my income is relatively high. The back of my pre-approved ThankYou offer stated that they determine CL based on the applicant's income & income in relation to any debt reflected on the credit rport. That being said, I'd suggest waiting till your income is higher. If it helps I have 2 cards with them. The 2nd card thry approved me for is more than double my CL with Chase & the 1st card they gave me  is even higher than that. 

+1. I've heard they are quite generous as well, and I've heard several people mention that they received a higher CL than whatever they had with Chase and other conservative lenders. I was considering adding the new Citi Hilton Reserve to my portfolio in the next few months. I'm expecting a starting CL of 30k or higher, but I'll have to see when the time comes.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 17
starboundphoenix
Valued Member

I got a $6K initial limit on the Forward with 680s scores and two lates. Income is in the $60K-$70K range with 13 years on the job. Only CC I had open at the time was a $5K Cap1 Plat.

Starting Score: EX: 652 FICO | TU: ??? FICO | EQ ??? FICO
Current Score: EX: 760 FICO | TU: 737 FICO | EQ: 754 FICO
Goal Score:      EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
Venture, BCP, Zync, USAA AMEX, Freedom, Forward, NFCU Flagship, Discover, Barclay, Mil Star, United Explorer

Message 8 of 17
JustWill
Valued Member

They more than doubled my highest limit at the time.

Message 9 of 17
CardinalRules
New Contributor

Citi was my second card, and it more than doubled my highest CL.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.