cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

tag
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

@bbb3601 wrote:

Just called back. 80% disabled Navy Vietnam Veteran not allowed to become a member. Just doesn't seem right.

So strange. From their website:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and
Air Force retirees and annuitants

I would think this would apply in your case.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 21 of 79
Gh0st
Contributor

I love nfcu. Highest limit I had was 6k from citi. NFCU gave me 13k a week ago.

.Believe.
Message 22 of 79
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Just like the title says, I see so many NFCU accounts here...are there just that many service men and women out there? It seems fairly difficult to gain membership.

My DH joined NFCU as an active duty marine stationed at Camp Pendleton. He had several personal loans with them in 2002-2005, also checking account with them.  We got married, and I called NFCU to ask if his membership was still active.  It is, so basically, he was a member who sponsored me, our NFCU Shared Savings account is jointly owned.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 79
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@atarvuzdar wrote:

@bbb3601 wrote:

Just called back. 80% disabled Navy Vietnam Veteran not allowed to become a member. Just doesn't seem right.

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 24 of 79
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

atarvuzdar wrote:

I'm a disabled vet also but that doesn't make either of us a retiree or the recipient of an annuity. An annuity is not the same as disability compensation.

So for now I have no way in either.

Message 25 of 79
missji
Regular Contributor

@ctb89
I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't live with my mother and have not for at least 20 years. The point is that once a person joins individuals who subsequently join don have to have a direct relationship to a service member to join. They really only need to be affiliated with a CU member.
Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.
Starting Scores (6/30/2020): EQ 640 | EX 660 | TU 658
Current Scores (05/22/2021): EQ 678 | EX 714 | TU 689
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 26 of 79
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just like the title says, I see so many NFCU accounts here...are there just that many service men and women out there? It seems fairly difficult to gain membership.

its pretty simple. it starts out being military affiliated but it doesnt end there. if someone in your household is a member say roomate or whatever you can join too as long as the address on your id's match.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 27 of 79
Datx
Valued Contributor

Like CreditAddict mentioned, there was kinda a loophole around 9/2010. There was news that USA Federal will merge (or was being bought) by NFCU. So guess what happened? Everyone applied for membership to USAFed CU. Then when the merge completed, they of course all became members of NFCU. There you have it.

Message 28 of 79
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Datx wrote:

Like CreditAddict mentioned, there was kinda a loophole around 9/2010. There was news that USA Federal will merge (or was being bought) by NFCU. So guess what happened? Everyone applied for membership to USAFed CU. Then when the merge completed, they of course all became members of NFCU. There you have it.

So lucky.............Smiley Mad

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 29 of 79
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@atarvuzdar wrote:

I'm a disabled vet also but that doesn't make either of us a retiree or the recipient of an annuity. An annuity is not the same as disability compensation.

So for now I have no way in either.

That just seems wrong on so many levels. I'm sorry. Smiley Sad

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 30 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.