cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

I applied on Wed or Thur of last week, and was delayed because they wanted to investigate my wife who I was adding along with my account.  Approved on Friday, but couldn't log in because I still don't have the login ID that they only send via postal mail.  Needless to say, I called in Monday night and was approved for a high-limit credit card over the phone.  Now waiting my login ID and new nRewards card.

I usually use USAA, which is a wonderful bank, but I had heard to many great things about NFCU not to try.

As a sidenote to the comments about enlisting:

Serving in the military is a great job.... the best job I have ever had or ever could want, in fact.  The benefits are wonderful.  I travel to exciting places (moving to U.K. in August).  I work and learn with multi-million dollar equipment.  The people I work with are AWESOME.  My job is AWESOME. I make more than enough money to care of my family and to buy the things that I want to buy.  And I can join banks like USAA and Credit Unions like Navy Federal.

The Armed Forces is not for everybody, but its not not the horrific thing that some people here make it out to be.  I am having the time of my life in the US Army.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 51 of 79
dbslove
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.. I appreciate all the work you wonderful ladies and gentlemen put in for us. I too heard so many wonderful things about NFCU and wanted to join because of them.

Message 52 of 79
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I joined through affiliation with my finance who had joined while he was at camp pendleton serving in the us marine Corp. After what he's been through its a nice benefit for those who have served and joined while they were active duty.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 53 of 79
ms_brownbuttafly

I'm a member, because my mother was a member, through a friend of hers.   Years ago, I brought on a (brother) fiance..LOL....We are no longer together, but he and his new wife have both benefited from membership, but with no effects to my account....Anyway.....I applied for a card yesterday with NFCU and was Approved for a 6k limit.Visa Cash Rewards....Smiley HappyYayyy......Even with my low score......This did lower my score by 7ptsSmiley Mad.  But I am hoping that this new account will eventually boost my score.....I love NFCU.  I also applied for an Orchard Bank on 5/7/12 and was approved for their Unsecured Master Card, after having a discharge with their Visa years ago.  The limit is only $300, not sure if its even worth having.    To answer your question, I would call, because while in my branch this week I saw a sign that stated refer a friend or family member and receive $25.00.  "Friend" leads me to believe that they may not need to meet all the requirements.  Good Luck!!

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 583 after two recent inquiries that led to Approval's with NFCU and ORCHARD BANK both Unsecured
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 54 of 79
quest208
Frequent Contributor

@ms_brownbuttafly wrote:

I'm a member, because my mother was a member, through a friend of hers.   Years ago, I brought on a (brother) fiance..LOL....We are no longer together, but he and his new wife have both benefited from membership, but with no effects to my account....Anyway.....I applied for a card yesterday with NFCU and was Approved for a 6k limit.Visa Cash Rewards....Smiley HappyYayyy......Even with my low score......This did lower my score by 7ptsSmiley Mad.  But I am hoping that this new account will eventually boost my score.....I love NFCU.  I also applied for an Orchard Bank on 5/7/12 and was approved for their Unsecured Master Card, after having a discharge with their Visa years ago.  The limit is only $300, not sure if its even worth having.    To answer your question, I would call, because while in my branch this week I saw a sign that stated refer a friend or family member and receive $25.00.  "Friend" leads me to believe that they may not need to meet all the requirements.  Good Luck!!

^^^^^  the friend that is being referred by the NFCU member needs to be eligible.  an NFCU member cant just refer anyone....eligibility requirements still need to be met.

the information i obtained was by calling NFCU 2 minutes ago and asking, because i would have joined but im not otherwise eligible.  i have not read the fine print that confirms this, but i would think the information i was given over the phone is right....i have no reason to believe otherwise.

i would love to be a member if possible, but seems impossible....i need to find someone i can "live" with.

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 55 of 79
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

It's interesting because when I clicked on the Friends & Family link (thinking about forcing my housemate/co-parent to join), it said "Family not eligible" or something silly like that.  Why would they call it Friends & Family and family members not be eligible (for the $25)?  Perhaps I misread but that gave me a nice chuckle.

Message 56 of 79
bluewillow
New Contributor

I agree...veterans should be able to join. 

Message 57 of 79
dbslove
Contributor

Well today I got the call that I needed to fax or email a copy of my ss card and dl. I did and now I have my access number, I was told I have to wait now to enroll online.. Is that true? What happens next?

Message 58 of 79
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

I have a son in the marines but my problem is he is not a member of NFCU.  They require his member number. 

Message 59 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@payingoffdebt001 wrote:

I have a son in the marines but my problem is he is not a member of NFCU.  They require his member number. 

Have him join...and then send me his member number. Smiley Tongue
Message 60 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.